Kit color pattern

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It appears to be a chestnut agouti colorwise.

In Lionheads, the coloring stays like that I find, I'm not sure about other breeds, I'm confident to say, that the agouti pattern causes the kit to look that way.

In chestnuts that lack a lot of rufus or even ones that do have it, that area is lighter and greyer. In Chinchilla the red or Rufus factor is replaced by white or "no colour" because they lack the enzymes to produce red/tan. Therefore in the lower half of those kits there is more black colouration which does show up. :)
Sort of a mirror image of a chestnut!

In our chestnut mutts and castor mini rex I find it goes away and the shading evens out.

I have had kits with that light/dark division, and they've kept it as they've grown out. It's interesting to see. Actually, for mine, it's usually a chinchilla/dilute chestnut division.

well, there is Am chinchilla in the background, mini rex, and NZ/cal cross. The little tummies and underside of the legs are white-- waiting to see if the base of the belly hair develops any color. One of the four is the same shade of grey agouti all over- the other three- well, they are crawling around with their interesting pattern

The agouti pattern is the same regardless of breed... they have typical chin agouti pattern. Some may "even out" others may not.
Miss M, The dilute of chestnut is opal and the dilute of chinchilla is called squirrel in a lot of breeds, but you can't have dilute and chin in one kit,(or chestnut/chin), if that's what you meant by chinchilla/dilute chestnut division? If not, sorry I misunderstood. :)

It looks like the "shadow" gene to me :p :lol:

Really... it is sort of weird... I have never come across it.

Latest posts

Back