kit color help ( pic )

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bunny love

Reaction score
Can anyone tell me the color of this French lop kit? It's agouti. It was born light grey with pink belly, inside ears and eye circles. Mom is chestnut agouti and dad is a self blue. Other kits in the litter are opal, chestnut, and I think chin ( I'll have to post a pic of all of them. This one has me puzzled as it's a totally different color than the rest. Any guesses?20180715_170102.jpg <br /><br /> __________ Wed Jul 25, 2018 12:13 am __________ <br /><br /> Sorry about the bad picture. I'm still learning how to resize pictures without loosing part of the picture in the process.... :lol:

Good job figuring out how to post pictures, I know it isn't always the easiest!

As far as the color goes... I wonder what else might be in mom and dad's backgrounds? Do you know what else they might carry (recessives) by chance? What is the likelihood of getting Lynx from your breeding pair (I'm not sure if that's what this is, having never seen it in person, but that's the first color that came to mind)?

Best of luck, I hope one of our color experts chimes in!
:D

Personally, I would guess cream. A smutty cream like that you might call a phenotypic lynx (they all show as a solids anyway; on the pedigree I'd put cream. From what Ive seen chocolate isnt super common in french lops so I wouldn't expect a true lynx) Especially if it was born looking significantly lighter than the opal. If it was born about the same shade as the opal I'd guess probably an opal that was just lighter in color.

Nymphadora the only thing I know about the mom ( the chestnut) is that she had siblings that were chestnuts and blues. The self blue buck I bought from a breeder that I've Purchased 3 French lops from and as far as I know his mom and dad were both chestnuts. I know she's gotten chestnuts, blues, opals, and chins. I don't believe she's ever gotten chocolate or any chocolate based colors, but I'm not positive about that. As much as I'd love to have a lynx kit I think Sable steel is right. The kit in question is probably a really light opal. Do you guys think it would be worth keeping it and breeding it back to either it's mom or dad? <br /><br /> __________ Wed Jul 25, 2018 11:51 pm __________ <br /><br /> 20180720_085334.jpg Here's a picture of a few of the other kits.

bunny love":3j2cfz61 said:
Do you guys think it would be worth keeping it and breeding it back to either it's mom or dad?

I would make that decision solely on type and health. See if it its healthy and has the type to complement either parent, otherwise I wouldn't do it. Color isn't very important on french lops

One thing you do have to watch out for in opal french lops though is undercolor... they need a dark undercolor. Some have a light undercolor because of snowballing as kits, but if they keep a white undercolor as adults I would not use them in breeding.

O.K. Thank you! It is the smallest kit so far. I think I just like the color because it's different. But I do want to breed for type and health first and foremost. I'm new at rabbit breeding and I'm working on creating a 4 generation pedigree. I have another Question and I"m not sure if I should post a separate topic. I'm also new at posting topics and I don't want to be bothersome. Is it o.k. to post a new topic for my question or should I just add it here? :?

If its related, you can post it here. But more people are probably going to see it if you make a new topic. <br /><br /> __________ July 27th, 2018, 10:25 am __________ <br /><br /> Also let me add: I would really lean towards cream based on the first picture alone

bunny love":3aqaagl7 said:
I have another Question and I"m not sure if I should post a separate topic. I'm also new at posting topics and I don't want to be bothersome. Is it o.k. to post a new topic for my question or should I just add it here? :?
By all means, if it's not in direct relation to this thread, please start a new post. It will help others who have similar questions in the future, by keeping relevant information together. Thank you for asking though! :)

Back