Kindling taking way too long

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JFang

Reaction score
I'm, new to breeding New Zealands and I know that normal gestation is around 31 days. I have one doe that didn't deliver until day 35 and all 5 kits were dead by morning. This was her first litter. Let's fast forward to her second, which just kindled this morning. I gave her a 6 week rest before breeding her. I started to think that it was a phantom pregnancy and was about to remove the nesting box because it has been a whopping 44 days since she mated. This time she gave birth to 4 kits, one being stillborn, but the other three were still alive. Is there some kind of issue happening with this doe, or has anyone else experienced this?

Every rabbit is different, some consistently kindle on day 28, others much later. It is probably just how she is, I don't think there is anything you can do about it, besides find a new doe.

It's not really a problem other than I was just wondering if it's a bad thing to breed her at all. I had read somewhere else that the majority of rabbits that Kindle after 35 days usually end up with all stillborns.

Yea, it can't be good for the babies to be in there too long. Two really small litters too, NZs should be having bigger litters than that I believe.

I'm still in my trial and error phase of breeding. She was only receptive to the buck once each time and then became hostile towards him. Where as my other doe accepted the buck 3 times in 12 hours and had 7 kits on her first litter.

Latest posts

Back