kindling in warm weather

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ipoGSD

Rabbit Talk Supporter
Reaction score
I have a doe due on the 10th. I've been giving her frozen water bottles daily to lay against along with ice in her water bottle and even a big chunk of ice for her to lick.

Is there any worries about her kindling in this heat? Up until a few days ago the weather was usually cold so I didn't have any worries.

My doe is young and healthy. This is her 3rd litter and she's a good mom I just worry..

Will hay be too warm for the kits? Mom tends to pull A LOT of hair, should I remove some of she does pull lots like she has in the past? Should I bring the kits inside during the day?

Basically should i do anything different with this litter due to the heat?

TIA
:)

P'S
You know you love your bunnies when you feel bad that you have to mow & weed wack the lawn.. lol

I think a lot depends on what is "normal" for your area--what your rabbits are used to. What were the temps when she kindled before? Have you ever noticed her seeming heat stressed. In my limited experience, the does pull more hair when it is cold and less when it's warmer. Sounds like you're doing all the right things. Hope it all goes well.

JMHO...
pregnant rabbits should never have temps over 80 in the last week of pregnancy or during kindling . I have lost some of my very best does on warm days just before kindling dates...
now days, i make sure they have a cooled area to live in during the summer when temps are likely to get too warm... again, JMHO...

If she pulls too much I would take some off, but like Rainey said, they usually know how much is needed. If there are very high temps, like over 80, maybe bring them inside if you have air conditioning.

Her other litters was when she lived inside. Definitely warm in here when she had them, she was in the living room where our pellet stove is and she pulled a lot!!!!!

I can bring her back inside if the weather is over 80 which more than likely it would be. But after she kindles, I'd be able to bring her back out, right? I do have ac so she and kits would be fine during kindling. Then I can keep kits inside for a week or so, bringing them back out at night.

Any opinions?

My rabbitry is in a very small 8 by 12 mini barn. It would not take much energy to add a small ac unit in the window for those ultra warm days. I usually keep the door open and run one fan sucking in from the outside, and a big fan pointing up to the ceiling to keep the hot air from gathering up there. Since it sits under a huge apple tree, it stays pretty comfy. We just bred two does, so I will look into a ac unit, to keep it below 80 for sure in july and august.

Latest posts

Back