Kindling/Gestation Question

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xlt

Reaction score
Have a first time doe at day 33 today... She's had a nest box for a couple days already, hay etc. hasn't done anything but defecate and toss the hay out of the nest box.

I bred her a week later to the same buck who proved fertile a week ago.

How long do I wait until I treat her as having "missed"?

XLT

xlt":ltllk8gh said:
I bred her a week later to the same buck who proved fertile a week ago.

I'm not quite sure what you mean by this sentence, XLT. Do you mean that you bred the doe 33 days ago and then bred her again a week later? If so, you need to add that week to her due date, in case she conceived from the second breeding.

Generally speaking, wait at least 36 days from the time of the last breeding... and a day or two beyond that doesn't hurt.

Sorry if I wasn't clear, by that I meant a buck I had bred another doe to him (a week earlier) that kindled a week ago...

So Day 36 is the number, thank you!

i know how frustrating that can be go ahead and add the days from the last breeding i hope she actually bred! I am waiting on my doe to kindle around halloween

OK, well by my count, this is day 37...

However, I am pretty sure I still see movement in her abdomen etc., she's lying on her side a bit. She's kind of a freak rabbit, so I can't tell was is nesting vs. just her being strange, I guess what is in the nest box could be called a "nest" :) No fur pulled yet either

:shock:

Looks like she missed, but then again, I might just wait a couple days, in case my calendar is wrong...

:?:

Here is a helpful hint I learned the hard way, if her stomach moves almost in 'wave' motion the is gas or digestion. Babies with have a 'poke' movement. :) which one are you seeing?

Yes, movement does not mean babies. I also learned that, but it was to my delight, as the doe was small and only four months old.

If it has been 36 days since breed date,
I would re-breed the Doe. Check the genital area
prior to placing her with the Buck. Check the Buck
too, make sure he has a complete operational tool belt.
Then watch the proceedings, all should take place within
five minutes or less. Don't turn your head or blink your eyes
you could miss the action. Allow the Buck to service the Doe
at least twice at that one rondavous. When that is done
back to her cage she goes. Mark the calender,
and place a nestbox 28 days from that date.
Ottersatin.

yup, id put her back in with the buck. my magic number is 35...i havent had a doe yet go past 33 and most are 31 days. nest box doesnt go in till day 30 or they will pollute it.

i dont always do this, but usually i breed them in the PM...let the buck hit it twice. and then one more time in the AM. ive read that this method produces more kits per litter....havent proved it true to myself yet. but im close to believing it.

Well, I put her back in this morning with the buck...Won't let him near her hindquarters at all... she is dark pink so that's not the issue.

She did this before, but it seemed that he finally got her to submit... yet no babies. This time, I am pretty sure he's not even gotten a shot at it.

She's been getting ACV in her water, I've tried a neutral cage... tried a forced breed as well. So, freezer camp?

XLT

On occasion, vitamin deficiencies can be an issue. Vitamin A and Vitamin E are important for successful breeding and both are vulnerable to loss from heat or prolonged storage. You could try supplementing their diet with a couple spoonfuls of raw wheat germ or 5-6 drops of wheat germ oil for Vitamin E for a couple of weeks. For Vitamin A try dark leafy greens like parsley or dandelions.

Only you can decide how much effort this doe is worth.

i agree with maggie. only you can decide if shes worth it or not. depends on your objective. if its food or numbers your after, shes not worth keeping. if mine, she'd get gone. but if shes a pet, or your attached to her for some reason, by all means keep her.

i culled half the heard last yr. difficulty in getting them bred up after august.

well, she definitely has not endeared herself to me :)... the only scratching, biting stubborn one out of the three I have :).

xlt":26lknmez said:
well, she definitely has not endeared herself to me :)... the only scratching, biting stubborn one out of the three I have :).

that makes it that much easier to do what needs to be done.

Okay... she's a first time doe, and she's missed once and you are considering culling her already?

why? She's a first time doe, doesn't she deserve a chance. Most folks that I know will at least give a rabbit two kicks at the can before they say.. you...outta here.

I give first time does a miss, they have up to three times to prove themselves capable and then they are gone. I don't argue beyond that. If they give me a litter of one, then they have one more chance to get it right and then they are gone. I don't need low production numbers. Neither do I need a rabbit that does nothing.

well, no, it's not that she missed... it's that she seems to be downright impossible to get bred, backs herself into a corner etc. seemingly endless behavior, (I would be willing to put up with a cantankerous rabbit, if she was a good producer)... I am giving her one more chance, primarily because I would have to wait for a replacement to grow up anyway.

So, we'll see...

xlt":2lcwc7sb said:
well, no, it's not that she missed... it's that she seems to be downright impossible to get bred, backs herself into a corner etc. seemingly endless behavior, (I would be willing to put up with a cantankerous rabbit, if she was a good producer)... I am giving her one more chance, primarily because I would have to wait for a replacement to grow up anyway.

So, we'll see...

as i mentioned earlier, i had the same problem with all my does, they refused to breed up after august last yr. i culled most all ofum and started over. nothing is more irritating than a fridgit doe.

well, cantankerous she is, but it seems that she is in fact pregnant and should kindle around Wednesday or Thursday... popped a nestbox in today and she immediately started classic nesting behavior... Plus a lot of movement (clearly different kind than I had seen before) going on her abdominal region...

So we'll see in a few days how well it goes!<br /><br />__________ Sun Nov 14, 2010 6:41 pm __________<br /><br />well, I take that back, went out 1/2 hour ago and she kindled no more than 4 hours after I put the nest box in on what should be day 27-28... six kits, all alive, all look to be healthy. A little smaller than the other doe's litter was but a little earlier gestation also.

So, no culling I guess... :)

Latest posts

Back