kidding & kindling but not our best week

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rainey

Rabbit Talk Supporter
Reaction score
Sunday evening one of our young does kindled her first litter (8) and all seemed to be going well until this morning when she ate hardly anything, 2 kits were dead and the others unfed (Maggie has been helping me out on another thread)
Monday Dora (Alpine goat) went into labor, day before her due date. I stayed near to keep an eye on her and she just wasn't making any progress. Joanna, my daughter and the goatherd, finally decided she ought to check things out. Could find 2 front feet but no head forward with them. Mostly our goats have kidded without assistance--once needed a vet to untangle 2 kids and Joanna helped so she'd know what to do another time. Finally got the first one out--dead on arrival. A second the same. The doe managed the third, a live buckling on her own. The vet came and checked her out, gave her an anti-biotic injection and left syringes for Joanna to give a day for through today. Doe and kid now doing well. (We have so much milk!)
Wednesday a new wwoofer arrived, had scheduled to stay 2-3 weeks. Knew in 24 hours this just wasn't going to work. He's leaving Sunday and the time until then feels awkward. I'm too tired for it to still be April.
Trying to let the hard things go, to focus more on the new green everywhere, the trout lilies and marsh marigolds just starting to bloom, the birdsong in the morning and frog chorus in the evening. Getting out at first light for a walk around the fields and along the brook before I start to deal with the problems of the day.

Attachments

• IMG_0061.jpg
    IMG_0061.jpg
    180.8 KB · Views: 874
  • IMG_0065.jpg
    IMG_0065.jpg
    222.5 KB · Views: 874
  • IMG_0072.jpg
    IMG_0072.jpg
    500.1 KB · Views: 874
  • IMG_0088.jpg
    IMG_0088.jpg
    444.8 KB · Views: 874
So sorry you're having so many problems with your goats and rabbits. That is heartbreaking, losing two of three kids. :cry: And of course, it would be the buckling that survived, instead of a doeling.

I think your plan to get out and enjoy the springtime is perfect. Those marsh marigolds and trout lilies are sure to brighten your spirits. :springtime:

Sorry about the issues with the critters, but goodness, that buck is a cutie!

And thanks for introducing me to trout lilies. Love them!

Latest posts

Back