Keeping track of my buns here for now

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swaggymama

Reaction score
I haven't really found a method I like to keep track of my bunbuns so I'm going to keep it here until I can move it all to a better place.... and this could have any insight/advise etc too so it's all good

I don't know much about the fur names etc either, so any help would be appreciated

The pictures are all of the first day I got them - the does were place din a dog crate while I finished up their hutches, the 2 mini rex were put in carboard boxes while my husband finished building their hutches, and the two bigger bucks pics were taken at the barn I went to get them at. I guess I'm due for more pics.

Does
A - Sandy Flemish Doe
B - Sandy Flemish Doe
C - Sandy Flemish Doe

They're all the same - really the only way to tell them apart is one has splayed front legs (and is slightly smaller), one has a split in one of her ears.

ABC.jpg

Bucks

Tonto - Black and white mini rex

Tonto.jpg

Jack - Black mini rex
Jack.jpg

Buck1 - silvery new zealand flemish cross

buck1.JPG

Buck2 - White with light grey spots, new zealand flemish cross

buck2.JPG

-- Tue Nov 06, 2018 11:46 am --

ABC are in order of their hutches left to right. *shrugs*

A - splayed legs
B - ripped ear
C - other one

B & C were put in with Tonto...October 18... but the poor little guy had such a hard time... no fall off - and that spurred me to get some bigger bucks.

We went to get Buck1 & Buck 2 October 21

B & C were put in with Buck1 October 22.
A was also put in with Buck1. Thank you, anklebiting helpers. :? :?

Tried B & C with Buck1 again October 24 - they weren't having it, and have been crusty ever since.

-- Tue Nov 06, 2018 12:03 pm --

Pic of a doe in her hutch - she can lay across the entire front wire part of the cage, the covered portion is about 2.5 x the size

C in hutch.jpeg

Pic of the Does' hutch as the front was being finished... as you can see - even with a Flemish doe standing up, the hutch is quite high...

B in hutch.jpeg

Pic of the Bucks' hutch... DH thought it was hilarious to catch them in the act...

Buck1 and C.jpeg

Those 2 males were always kept together, so we're keeping the mtogether for now - they aren't really bugging each other or anything, so far so good, but DH is ready with pieces for another identical hutch should the need arise.

We also have a pen in the yard on the grass, but we need to physically put the buns there, it't not free range....yet. My hope is the eventually, the front part of the hutch can just be slid open and the buns can go down a ramp of sorts into the enclosed pen area.... which isn't all that large, but it's large enough for them to run around a bit and eat whatever's on the ground... I'd say maybe 3 feet by 6 feet.

:bunnyhop: :bunnyhop:

swaggymama":2tbrl6f2 said:
I haven't really found a method I like to keep track of my bunbuns so I'm going to keep it here until I can move it all to a better place.... and this could have any insight/advise etc too so it's all good
I'd highly recommend writing down full pedigrees as best you can and as early as you can (so you don't forget who sired who, etc.). Pedigree templates are available all over the web, and mine are just in a spreadsheet that I convert to PDF when I sell a rabbit. That way I can track each rabbit's line, puzzle out the color genetics, etc.

If you don't have pedigrees for your current rabbits, start one with them. So write down all the information you need for the pedigrees, and continue writing pedigrees for any offspring you keep. In 3 generations you'll have a complete pedigree. (It's not just for showing, it really helps show growth trends, color genetics, etc, too).

swaggymama":2tbrl6f2 said:
Tonto - Black and white mini rex

Jack - Black mini rex
Judging from the photos... I'm not sure you actually have Mini Rex? Are their whiskers curly, and what is their fur texture like? It looks a bit long and flat to be Rex fur in the pictures, but it could just be the picture quality. Cute little guys, though! :)

Thanks for sharing your herd with us!

I was told they're mini rex... maybe they're not... they're verrrryyyy soft, and they're pretty small - maybe twice the sie of my hand...

size of jack.png

swaggymama":ug2mt6mn said:
I was told they're mini rex... maybe they're not... they're verrrryyyy soft, and they're pretty small - maybe twice the sie of my hand...
The size is less an indication than the fur... there are a variety of dwarf breeds around, and yours could be a mix (not a bad thing, if they are providing the qualities you want in your herd). What's unique about Rex fur is that it stands straight up from the skin and is typically not very long, making it a very dense and plush texture. Other fur varieties are roll-back and fly-back, which are characterized by how the hair shafts return to their natural orientation when brushed against the grain.

Do a quick experiment with your rabbits (do this with a couple so you can see the differences). Stroke them from their tail to their shoulders and observe the fur. Does it naturally stay upright? Does it fall back into place?

Have fun! :D

No - and I`d have been surprised if there was... unless they bred on the way to my home through the cages.... (I got them on the 9th)

Otherwise I`d say it's a false pregnancy, considering the dates I'm using are between the 18th - 22nd... that would be around 18 days....

-- Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:40 am --

These are pics of the fur...the hubs said no no it's just from grooming.

:lol: :lol:

fur2.jpg

fur1.jpg

-- Tue Nov 20, 2018 2:39 pm --

The girls were re-bred with the boys on Saturday November 17th, 2018.

A & C were bred with Buck 1, and B was bred with Buck 2. <br /><br /> -- Sat Nov 24, 2018 8:15 pm -- <br /><br /> Well my first doe had a kit last night.

Just one.

She ate it. Well, most of it. I found the leftovers this morning.

swaggymama":ka7xf0ba said:
Well my first doe had a kit last night.

Just one.

She ate it. Well, most of it. I found the leftovers this morning.
I'm sorry swaggymama, that's always a shame when it happens. Was she a first-timer? I can't remember if you mentioned it or not yet...

One of our younger does had a disappointing first litter as well (2 DOA, 1 live kit), but her second litter (5 kits, alive and healthy) has been very well taken care of and they're growing much faster than the other litters right now! Hopefully it goes better for you next time, as well. :encourage:

The farmer I got her from said she wasn't a first timer.

-- Tue Dec 18, 2018 11:07 am --

And we have babies!! The first didn't have any...not surprising. Doe B had 3, all dark... And C had a few but I can't tell how many or what color because they are absolutely buried in wiggling fur and she won't let me reach in to see. LOL.

-- Tue Dec 18, 2018 2:09 pm --

Went out to check at 1... 3 cold cold babies for B... Brought em in... Warm water etc... 2 came back, couldn't save the 3rd. C's fur pile is still wriggly, so that's a positive...

-- Wed Dec 19, 2018 10:38 am --

I finally was able to get to Doe C's litter - she had 14!!

One was very cold and apart from the others, so I grabbed it and brought it in under some warm water - like the 2 from the other doe, it seemed to do well...

After some thought, and finding one more cold baby later on, despite the hutches having perfectly fine covered nests in them, I decided to shelve the babies and bring the mamas in for nursing - what an ordeal... luckily, both mamas are pretty calm tempered, and the babies seemed to be on the ball with finding the nips and suckling...

By evening, 2 more passed away.

Total 17 born, 4 dead - 13 left, and all 13 were warm and wriggly this morning.

The kits are in a box lined with straw, and covered in fur... the box is wrapped in a blanket (not over top) and the box is in a secure indoor location away from noise and kids.

Is this viable?

Should I put them back in with the doe, or can I keep them indoors and bring in the does to nurse? <br /><br /> -- Wed Dec 19, 2018 11:11 am -- <br /><br /> Also, most are dark with a reddish underbelly, some are dark with a lighter underbelly and behind their neck, a few are completely dark, and one is pink.

swaggymama":lfcjmrrk said:
And we have babies!!
:congratulations:

I finally was able to get to Doe C's litter - she had 14!
Wow! :p

With one doe having such a big litter, it might help to foster over some of the extra babies to the doe with only 2 left. It'll help relieve the doe with fewer kits, whose milk supply may be uncomfortable (or could turn into mastitis if she's producing too much milk to be consumed), and it'll reduce the competition for the kits in the enormous litter. Best of luck to you! :)

Also, most are dark with a reddish underbelly, some are dark with a lighter underbelly and behind their neck, a few are completely dark, and one is pink.
Dark on top and light underneath usually means agouti or otter, my guess being agouti. The completely colored kits would be self (black and white, given your description?).

Post some pictures, we can all take a guess! :gettowork:

20181220_090631.jpg

The color in this one isn't great...and it was when I first found them, chilled....they are darker.

20181220_090719.jpg

I've been alternating between does, flipping them on their back anf they've been getting round bellies but not super round... Enough not to be thin and wrinkly... They're clearly being filled...but it takes so much time.

It's been taking about an hour, hour 1/2 to get them all fed....anf I'm doing it twice a day. Lol

swaggymama":25ski2vn said:
I've been alternating between does, flipping them on their back anf they've been getting round bellies but not super round... Enough not to be thin and wrinkly... They're clearly being filled...but it takes so much time.
I'm curious why you'd be putting yourself (and the does) through all this trouble... just split the litters evenly between the does, and leave them be. You should still be able to check in on the kits to make sure everyone is getting their share of milk, but it's much more natural and comfortable (I would imagine) for the does to hop into the nest box to feed when they feel like it. The kits also have the advantage of gravity to pull the milk toward them if they're feeding from underneath.

If you notice 1 or 2 kits not getting full bellies after the does have fed them, then you can try to give them extra opportunities with mom as you were doing... but I'd avoid stressing the does any more than I have to when they've got little ones to take care of.

:good-luck: <br /><br /> -- Thu Dec 20, 2018 10:03 am -- <br /><br /> Oh, I meant to mention that the kits look like my agoutis do, too... if they're darker I'd say chestnut, lighter would be opals. :)

A few reasons... It was a decision I made late in the night Wednesday, because they still weren't being fed. They took it at that time... It took 90 minutes.

Thursday morning, I brought mama inside...after 6 hours...nothing. Flipped her, she was great.

Thursday night tried again... Other mama (B) wanted nothing to do with the kits...brought C in again... She flipped close to the kits..so I left her overnight...2 more dead this morning, the rest didn't seem full or very active... Kind of floppy and weak... So I flioped her... Took it great.

I do leave them be, but they aren't being looked after... So lesson learned this round... And I will be making a better indoor space for them.

-- Fri Dec 21, 2018 9:58 am --

Also, more pics. :)

Looks black all over

20181221_094649.jpg

This type has the same reddish on top on the head and on the neck
20181221_100501.jpg

20181221_095651.jpg

There seems to be different shades of reddish brown

swaggymama":z60i7ijd said:
A few reasons... It was a decision I made late in the night Wednesday, because they still weren't being fed. They took it at that time... It took 90 minutes
I do leave them be, but they aren't being looked after... So lesson learned this round... And I will be making a better indoor space for them.
Ahh, that does make more sense then. Sorry to hear you're having such a rough go this round. I hope the rest pick up fairly quickly and start thriving.

As for the colors, that black one is definitely self black (you can tell when their ears' insides are the same color as the body). And you seem to have a few chestnuts (what you call the reddish-brown kits). Wonderful! :)

Finally this morning mama fed the kits herself! She wanted absolutely nothing to do with the nest box... So I tried to flip her...nope.

Gave her a few grapes...while she was distracted I put one of the kits under her, cradled in my hand... It latched on immediately, and as soon as it did, she raised herself up a little and let it.... So I grabbed all the others and stuffed then under her... They almost all got fed...all but 2... She even licked and cleaned most of them...so relieved.

The 2 that didn't seem to feed were 2 that have been difficult to feed to begin with... To start, the other kits are all averaging 2 to 2.2 ounces.. These 2 were 1.5 and 1.2 ounces... They wouldn't really latch on for more than a few suckles...I tried giving them some stuff drom a dropper (recioe for formula from here) and they would lick that decently...not full but some. Wasn't very hopeful they'd make it... And they didn't... So we have 11 left from 17...and all 11 are very wriggly and fat.

Pics!

10 days old today! (overnight)

There are 3 distinct coats on them... here they are.

I have 5 black:Resized_20181225_150610_1132.jpeg

I have 3 of these:grey.jpg

and 3 of these: Resized_20181225_150804_7572.jpeg

Eyes weren't open last night... I did not check them this morning, since I had to be at work for 7am... but the hubby said they weren't yet open when he checked around 10am.

They are very active when they're touched... their little teeth are pretty sharp... one got me between my thumb and finger when I lifted it up to weigh it... otherwise they're still pretty much sleeping all day.

They're averaging 3 - 4 ounces now.

They're so sweet. <3

-- Mon Dec 31, 2018 11:34 am --

What a difference just a few days makes!

Last night:

allsleeping.png

grey.jpg

all.jpg

They are SO cute.

All eyes are now fully open, and they've started crawling around much more... mom seems to have stepped on one's paw - all was well, then it started squealing... no cuts or anything, nothing seemed damaged... but a little while later it seemed to be crawling around with it's back right paw help off the ground. Poor little thing. :(

I also miscounted in my last post - I have 6 black, not 5... and 2 brownish, not 3. That works out - Ideally the black ones are the ones that will be kept to be bred for fur color on top of meat.

-- Wed Jan 16, 2019 9:21 am --

January 10, 2018 - 23 days old today!

Weight - averaging between 5 and 7 ounces

They're nibbling on mom's food and have figured out how to drink without shoving their whole face in the water :lol:

They still unbelievably all fit under mom... all 11 of the little buggers. She's seriously huge. :p

Jan 10 - feeding time.jpeg

Excuse the grossness of the blanket... it's clean from that day, I swear !! <br /><br /> -- Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:06 am -- <br /><br /> January 15 - 4 weeks old!

They're generally uninterested in mom today, and she's getting irritated with them as well, she stamped her foot down a few times today when they were pestering her, was worried she'd stomp on one...

They're more interested in the other foods being provided than in mom - they'll nibble a little, then go for mom, then finish stuffing their faces on whatever else they can. It's hilarious!

They're now eating pellets and hay, oat flakes, carrot peels or baby carrots, celery slices, banana slices, and lettuce - no issues so far, everything seems good. They sniffed around at mom's red delicious apple slices, but haven't seemed really interested as of yet other than a few nibbles.

4 weeks old eating.jpeg

Mom is just out of frame - she doesn't seem interested in letting the kits feed off her unless she's got tasty treats.

They're averaging between 9 and 11 ounces, and the little one is trailing behind at 7 ounces - he was stuck at the same weight for a few days. *shrugs*

4 weeks old bigbuns.jpeg

They're much more active, and are eating a lot more hay the lsat few days - I think they'll be self-weaning within the week... though I would have liked to see 2 or 3 more weeks of milk.

As you can see from this pic, they're so much quicker than they were, they're now a blur when they zip around while I'm taking a picture. :roll:

4 weeks old playing.jpeg

Because they're fairly big, they've been moved to a filing cabinet cage I made - and all I need to do for exercise is open up the door and let them out into a puppy playpen.

My daughters are too funny - they've been picking off the little poo balls from the blanket they play on and putting them in my herb pits in my kitchen.... :lol: :lol:

They're also starting to have mixed emptions about eating the buns... so they've been trying to convince me to sell some. They go pretty cheap here... you can easily get buns online for 10-20$... so I told them we could sell some, but that I wasn't letting go of any for less than 35$ a piece (thinking nobody would want lol)

They showed me, they have 5 sold off - already have the money for 2. WTF. lol

No big deal.

Hubby was supposed to dispatch Doe B, my white/gray buck as well as my 2 polish - still hasn't happened. Irritated. been going on almost 3 weeks now... I was on holidays for a few weeks, and had been hoping to process the hides during my time off... but I wasn't that lucky.

Waiting waiting waiting, because while he's annoyed at still having the babies in the house, he hasn't cleared out the outdoor hutches to put the babies in, because he hasn't dispatched their occupants.

Action and consequences, honey dear... lol

Latest posts

Back