Keeping hormones at bay

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lovemyroger

Reaction score
My bunny seems to be getting close to puberty, if not already in it. He is the only bunny in the house and we plan to keep it that way until we return to the US. He is starting on the urine spraying. We live in Saudi Arabia and the vets here just aren't very qualified. Anyone with a bachelor's degree can call themself a vet. They've pretty much only recently discovered the benefits of neutering/spaying cats and dogs, but I wouldn't trust them to a bunny. Actually, they might not even realize that neutering a bunny can be done. We will be going to the US within the next year and then he will be neutered there. I know several vets where we are planning to live that deal with a lot of exotics so getting it done shouldn't be an issue.
Is there any methods of keeping him somewhat in check until the time arrives?And are there any issues associated with neutering a little later in life?

As far as I know, there's nothing really you can do until he is neutered, except minimize his impact -- perhaps keep him somewhere that is easy to clean.

Neutering won't absolutely definitely solve the problem, but it usually does. Almost always, if I'm not mistaken. :) As far as I know, there are no negative issues associated with neutering later.

You are right not to trust a rabbit to an inexperienced vet. Rabbits are more delicate than dogs and cats, and medicines can be dangerous to them that would be fine in a cat.

They'd probably do it the "old fashioned way" that has been used since humans began raising animals and is still used on the vast majority of livestock - hold, slice, pull and snip :)

They may or may not be given a local anesthetic - horses are (usually); piglets aren't

Back