Keeping fiber in a neat pile

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That is the way I pluck ... but then, I stuff it in a ziplock :D It takes me about 2 hours to pluck my English Angoras :D

I am not sure what you mean about "if it is a bit more messy" ... it is going to be messy any way because of all the fiber flying around LOL

Are you plucking for your own spinning, or for selling? There is a difference in how you handle/store the fiber if it is for retail.

Messy with a capital M. But it's mostly for myself, I take it off by the handfuls, straight end to end, and then stuff it in a ziplock bag, lol.

I started out doing it like that (keeping the fiber in a nice straight row).

But it was his first plucking and he was really impatient. He wouldn't sit still! So I tried to do it a little faster, so it ended up in a pile with the fibers going every which way.

But this will be just for me to spin, so I'll see if it will work for me :)

Attachments

• 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    66.2 KB · Views: 2,357
  • 003.JPG
    003.JPG
    89.8 KB · Views: 2,357
I spin from the cloud, not carded or combs, so it doesn't matter if they are all lined up, they get mashed up later on.

I spin from a cloud too, so not really important, but I don't think I could keep the fibers straight if I tried. Usually I harvest faster than I can spin, and that means my boxes are full and I'm cramming the wool in there.

Method:
Pull fiber out of brush, or pluck a handful of fiber
Open box, angora flies out and tries to choke anyone in a 10 foot radius
Quickly close lid
Catch floating fibers before the cats eat them and yack them up somewhere in the middle of the night for me to step on in the morning
Only open box lid enough to stuff fibers in, as others try to escape.
Try to close box lid, only to find that half of what I tried to put in is stuck to my fingers and didn't make it in the box
Make a second attempt of putting fiber in box, closing lid on fingers to gently scrape fiber into box
Check box perimeter, only to keep opening the lid and trying to stuff in pieces that are trying to escape.
Finally reach the point where I get frustrated and decide it's good enough.
Repeat until bunny is either brushed or plucked out.

Ya, you could say it gets messy! :p

I use a dreadlock comb to groom and harvest wool. It is so fast! That video makes me feel like I've aged 100 years. I am not nearly patient enough to line up the fibers like that and I find that it doesn't really matter much. I also like to spin from a cloud.

This thread cracks me up. I have only brushed my rabbits a few times a week and have yet yo harvest either of them but the description of the fibers going everywhere is a very real occurrence here. It makes me laugh to know it isn't just me.

PSFAngoras":23hrxmzg said:
Method:
Pull fiber out of brush, or pluck a handful of fiber
Open box, angora flies out and tries to choke anyone in a 10 foot radius
Quickly close lid
Catch floating fibers before the cats eat them and yack them up somewhere in the middle of the night for me to step on in the morning
Only open box lid enough to stuff fibers in, as others try to escape.
Try to close box lid, only to find that half of what I tried to put in is stuck to my fingers and didn't make it in the box
Make a second attempt of putting fiber in box, closing lid on fingers to gently scrape fiber into box
Check box perimeter, only to keep opening the lid and trying to stuff in pieces that are trying to escape.
Finally reach the point where I get frustrated and decide it's good enough.
Repeat until bunny is either brushed or plucked out.

Ya, you could say it gets messy! :p

BWAHAHAHAHAHA!!!! :lol: :lol:
THIS ^^^THIS is EXACTLY right.<br /><br />__________ Wed Nov 20, 2013 3:41 pm __________<br /><br />Now that I have returned to watch the video, I pluck like that and line them up in boxes perfectly matched for length. Im kind of particular about it. Having it in a wadded pile as some others do, I do that also. Thats what I call seconds.

SarahMelisse":2fy7fco4 said:
That video makes me feel like I've aged 100 years. I am not nearly patient enough to line up the fibers like that

Maybe y'all need to play soothing music while you pluck. And take a sedative. :roll:

That would work If the bunny stays still. I don't show, and I got most of my rabbits young so they never learned to propey pose. That means thy try to amid the table, say hi to the cats, go exploring, or jump on me for hugs and kisses all while I'm trying to groom. I have two that sit still out of seven. And the babies lean mommas behavior, so there's more squirmy worms when I have babies to groom too!

The flying fiber is why I try to do most of my grooming OUTSIDE :p But, here in Oklahoma, we have the wind to contend with ... when shearing for the summer, my back yard can look like a bunny exploded back there LOL

The buns do like to sit for me as the elevated position and the wind keep them pretty occupied ... and I will just pluck the area that the bun is presenting to me LOL It does give me a chance to concentrate on the prime length fiber and I will probably eventually start sorting my plucking if I move into sales. Otherwise, for me, the spinning of the different lengths across the body of the rabbit doesn't give me any problems.

Back