keeping angora rabbits in colony?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

4hgirl

Reaction score
I've been wondering could you raise english angoras in a colony?

would you still have to brush them or would they groom each other?

oh last question is it almost impossible to find an english angora rabbit breeder in michigan?.....I can find mix breed angoras and french angoras but hardley any english....lol maybe its just me

just wondering

thanks,
Melissa

I have angoras. Most of them are in colonies. yup.

You won't find many people who raise angoras that will say it's possible, but I'm here to tell you that it is :) If you're going to SHOW you will probably need to take the show bunny and put into a cage so they don't lose the tummy fur and stay fluffy. They will groom each other and keep each other clean, but because of the running and playing, they do loose tummy wool. And of course, you run the risk of a fight over food that could create a nick in an ear, or a scratch on a nose.

When I started with angoras, I was told..flat out..that they had to be on wire floors, never fed hay (or only small amounts in a hay holder). Then I did research and found that the professional breeders in France keep angoras in cement/concrete "cages", bed them with straw, and feed hay. I also found a few people who put their angoras outside in runs during the day. so...I tried the colony.

works really well. Just remember to pick them up and groom them at least once a week so 1)they get used being picked up; and 2)you catch any mats before they get set..particularly important if you have rabbits that like to play in the water dish...sigh....:roll:

Brody":2hski58x said:
you need to groom EA no matter how you keep them
:rotfl: You need to groom them right after you GROOM them! goodness those beasts mat quickly. Lovely wool, but WOW....I should see if I can find a purebred EA and try her in a colony setting...see if it helps or makes things worse.

I'll send you Puff -my vote is worse :)
but he's happy so that is worth a whole lot to me

Latest posts

Back