Just wanted to keep everyone updated

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigbrologan

Reaction score
Since my other post was locked I just thought I should keep you guys updated on my doe that I believe is going to kindle VERY soon. Well, anyways I called my dad and asked if she had kindled yet, he said no, so I'm hoping she doesn't kindle till I'm back at my dads so I can help her and if anything were to go wrong, fix it. Anyway, I will keep you updated if anything happens.

Logan

Headed back to my dads today. Hopefully my doe waits to kindle so I can take care of her. I don't have internet at my dads but I will try to let everyone know ASAP if anything happens, maybe I could have my mom post something for me.<br /><br />__________ Sat Feb 06, 2010 7:11 pm __________<br /><br />I have news, and it's not good, turns out all the babies died, there were 7. I am thinking that they died of cold as they were out of the nest she built or she killed them except I had no way to examine them as my dad was upset as well and he burned them before I got back. I am very sad, but I have to move forward. I am looking forward to getting some new Standard Black Otter Rexes that are pedigreed and have registered parents.

I'm sorry she lost the first litter .. that's sadly not uncommon ...
likely she had them in the wrong spot ...

Oh, Logan! I'm so sorry! Are you going to rebreed her right away? Good to hear about the Rexes. I would love to have Rexes someday--really the only other breed I want.

That's very sad, Logan, but you're right that you just have to put it behind you and get on with things. Your doe will likely do better next time... A lot of first-time does lose their first litter. Maybe next time you can time the breeding so that she will kindle at a time when you are likely to be at your Dad's. Sometimes even if the doe has them on the wire, if you find them quickly enough you can warm them and so save them. There is a very good thread about this that you might want to read.

I'm sorry she lost the litter. Unfortunately, it happens, especially in the colder weather. I'm sure she'll do better next time! I always consider the first litter to be a "learning experience". If the doe does well, great! If not, she gets another chance or two. :)

Yes, I'll rebreed her anyway, and this time I'll be sure to put a nest box in there so the babies can't get out of the nest, and I will definetly time it so that I am at my dads.

if she didn't have a box of some sort even if she had the babies in the nest they would easily have moved out of the warmth of thier siblings and nest :(
we don't call them popples for nothing!!

my rabbits have had litters in a wide vareity of boxes ... cardboard works in a pinch ...as did a cat carrier once
a nesting box is ideal but make sure they have SOMETHING from here on ok?

I will be sure that they have something. I promise! As soon as I figured out they were dead, I thought they died due to freezing, so I have already constructed two nest boxes and plan on using them when she has her next litter.

hard way to learn I know - I know you will give them a spot to stay warm next time .. and hopefully as has already been said you'll be around and the weather will be better

hang in there

Thanks.<br /><br />__________ Thu Feb 18, 2010 10:05 am __________<br /><br />I can't believe I've done it again, my doe is nesting, fur is being pulled and the nest is being arranged. And again I will not be at my dads. I can't believe how stupid I am. But, I provided her with a nest box, and people will be checking up on her daily, so I'm hoping everything goes to plan.

Back