Just tattooed 13!

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eco2pia

Staff member
Reaction score
Ok I had a human tattoo gun, a 5 needle liner and black outline ink. We used a pen to mark veins to avoid, and liquid Oragel to numb the ear before hand--heads up, it takes a minute of two for that stuff to work, and a good amount, so goop it up.

There were two of us, one to hold the rabbit wrapped in a towel with it's ear sticking out of a little hole we cut, and one to do the actual tattoo. There was a little grunting and struggling, but no screaming. It was much easier to put the rabbit back in the hutch than to get him out, they were just worn out. By the end it took only 30 sec/a minute to make the actual tattoo, longer to let the ear get numb.

Now. We need to invent a super bunny restraint system, something to get them truly immobile, a little squeeze chute/straight jacket combo...I am open to brainstorms/suggestions. :D

Yikes, that's alot of tattooing! We just got out tattoo equipment, and planning to practice a bit before attempting the real thing. :lol:

eco2pia":3kp4q97h said:
Ok I had a human tattoo gun, a 5 needle liner and black outline ink. We used a pen to mark veins to avoid, and liquid Oragel to numb the ear before hand--heads up, it takes a minute of two for that stuff to work, and a good amount, so goop it up.

There were two of us, one to hold the rabbit wrapped in a towel with it's ear sticking out of a little hole we cut, and one to do the actual tattoo. There was a little grunting and struggling, but no screaming. It was much easier to put the rabbit back in the hutch than to get him out, they were just worn out. By the end it took only 30 sec/a minute to make the actual tattoo, longer to let the ear get numb.

Now. We need to invent a super bunny restraint system, something to get them truly immobile, a little squeeze chute/straight jacket combo...I am open to brainstorms/suggestions. :D

I have read elsewhere that to restrain them too tightly will cause them to hurt themselves as they struggle. You need something that you can release quickly if they get spastic or they can break their backs. Cannot remember where I read this but it was a rabbit forum and several folks said the same.

It might have been me,
I never restrain my rabbits. I place them on a table
and clamp them. If the move, I move with them.
I know of a case where a Dwarf rabbit was wrapped in a towel
for tattooing. It jumped and broke its back, it had a very nice tattoo
but it died! Hey, what works for one does not always work for another.
Ottersatin. :eek:ldtimer:

ottersatin":ynuygd26 said:
It might have been me,
for tattooing. It jumped and broke its back, it had a very nice tattoo
but it died! Hey, what works for one does not always work for another.
Ottersatin. :eek:ldtimer:

Yup, Otter, I think you are right! That is the story I remember hearing.... ;)

shannon

so you think its more dangerous to restrain them? i have had my rabbits tattooed in a tattoo box but one broke its leg/foot during the tattooing process. obviously that one went for meat and thank goodness it wasn't showable (i was tattooing it so that i could show it and sell it in the 4-h auction). I hate to think what could have happend if its brother or sister (who were being tattooed at the same time) broke their leg or foot, because they are both the nicest rabbits i have in the barn now. it seems like if they are let loose while tattooing they would be able to kick better and break their backs. this is not the case?

When i tatoo... i just set the rabbit ( hopefully a young one, they are easier to do ) on the grooming table. Let it settle a bit. Take the left ear and 'pinch' ( for lack of a better discriptive word) the base of the ear, quickly sight where i wish to tatoo,... clamp ... and done. It takes longer to 'ink' the ear, press the ink in... and wipe with Prep H... than the actual tatoo.

My rabbits are tattooed with a people gun, not a clamp. It is not as shocking to them, since they also have topical anesthetic on. They are not spastic, just twitchy...and it makes me mess up the tattoo sometimes! They aren't overly stressed, they don't squeal or growl. I usually get through one or more digit before they move...BUT it does take longer, like a minute or so.

I want them to hold their head steady without another person there...I keep thinking the bunny burrito only attached to a board or something...

Currently, I hold their head in one hand with their ear up between my thumb and index finger and then I keep them bunched together with my other hand behind their butt, kind of like posing, only tighter. They can't break their back if they can't extend, and at 8 weeks they aren't going anywhere. I just need to figure some system that will do what my hands are doing...like maybe a box corner, backing them into it, and then...some way to hold the head!! :?

The people guns are SO much better, but I only use them for difficult tattoos or for fixing mis marked or faded clamps, as I can to about 3 clamps in the time it takes me for one hand tat.

I use a taped up piece of box cardboard (like kids toys come in, really thick card stock) and pull the ear over it and hold it flat.
most will tolerate it pretty well, some will just fight.<br /><br />__________ Wed Sep 07, 2011 7:00 pm __________<br /><br />I was thinking a V block, with a strap over the top of the head, to put the rabbits head on the ground the two straps over the back in an X from the shoulder to the opposite butt, that adjust under the board and so ball the rabbit up, not letting it struggle.

Yes, Jack, thank you, that is just what I am trying to picture...I was considering velcro, with terry cloth where it actually crosses the rabbit's body. I like the idea of the v-walls behind them and an x over the top, now just have to come up with a way to fabricate the whole thing.

It will probably look like a torture device, but what is in my head is that they will probably mostly calm right down, just like they do when they are securely held. I have a pretty steady painter's hand, but not if it is going to get jostled every 3 seconds, the canvas doesn't move!

I am told the bunny burito works great.its like a towel with velcro straps.you can buy them but i dont think they are hard too make.

What I'm talking about is pretty much a bunny burito on a board with an extra piece to hold the head in one position

ottersatin":1pf537wq said:
It might have been me,
for tattooing. It jumped and broke its back,

I no longer restrain, after losing a Satin Angora from a broken back. Mine do better just on the table. But I just clamped 4 more--for the 2nd time-- the other day and the tats are still not good. Pretty frustrating for me and the poor bunnies. It may be the arthritis in my thumbs, but I can not get all four digits to show. I had new ink too. I may have to go to a pen, even though I don't want to.

I find a short brush and vigorous circles with good pressure to be the key to good clamp tattoos as it gets the ink in better, that and using a fresh dip every time, when the ink drys a bit, it just doesn't sink in like it needs to.

A tooth brush, maybe? I had been using a clean q-tip for each bunny. I have another crew to do in a couple of weeks, so I'll try the brush with them, before I try on the older ones...again. Thanks.

auto parts store, ask for an acid brush, cheap metal brush with plastic bristles, cut about half off.

Back