Just don`t say "chestnut" :/

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nika

Reaction score
If I breed broken black doe (from broken black dam and red sire) and black buck (from black dam and red sire), what could I get?

My favorite colours were always black and broken black, so I didn`t ever researched how to get what. I thought it would be fun to have red babies so I bought red new zealand.. Now I have barn full of chestnusts (and fortunatelly some blacks and brokens) and figuring out how not to get chestnuts from black, broken black and red :roll: Daughters and father will give me red but further more I will just stick to black :)

You won't get any red from this paring. Red requires "A" at the ASIP Locus. Black only carry "a" and will be aa at the ASIP locus. Thus, you will only get aa from this pairing. However, since both rabbits have a red parent they will both be Ee at the Extension Locus. Thus the only possible combinations are Black or Tort bases with or without broken. Unless of course there are other recessives present in both parents, such as dilute ("d"), chocolate ("b"), or REW ("c").

Breed two chestnuts from red parents, or breed a chestnut back to it's red parents and you should get some reds.

Oh :(

I was asking about it here post282305.html#p282305 and just assumed that it is the same with the other litter sired by the same buck. So I need chestnuts to get red, good to know since we are just planning culling the litter mentioned in the other topic.

Thank you for clearing that up :)

You don't necessary need chestnut but do need an "A" allele and ee.

Black is E-aa
Tort is ee aa

Chestnut is E-A-
Orange is ee A- Where the - designates an unknown allele.

Another question, same title :D

From the broken black doe (ancestors unknown) and chestnut buck (black x red) I got this strange looking "chestnut" doe with small white dot on the nose". She is on the bottom of the picture, next to a regular (for me) chestnut.
fotografija0364.jpg

I don`t really need to know her excact colour, but I have a chocolate buck and wondering what their kits would look like. This young doeling is the biggest kit I ever had, but I am so tired of chestnuts..

Her colour is called "gold tipped steel" which is a chestnut with a steel gene

Many people have noticed that steel kits tend to be the largest in the litter and the gene is very common in NZ (but not possible NZReds) and Californians so it's is theorized that it is some how linked to growth genes

Nika
I bread a Red New Zealand Doe with a American Chin Buck and got Kits that same colour!
They are quick growers and I am keeping on of the does for my meat program.

I looked for photos, but don't seem to have them on my phone.... (they are already saved to the computer...lol)
I will add a photo this weekend for you.

Back