just bred a doe

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SterlingSatin

Reaction score
i bred a new doe too a new buck so they both had to figure out what they were doing. the buck had no idea what he was doing and was actually not all that willing, which surprised me. i lifted the doe for him all three times, because he apparently thought the head was the correct target. anyway, he covered three times, and the doe was wet, but he never fell over. he would grip, shake, groan, and then hop up in the air and land on the doe's hindquarters then role back and get up. close enough? he did do three 2-3 second covers. i have two does to breed him with today, i'll try the second on in half an hour and see if he's any better. also, he wanted to hang back in the corner the whole time. even when i lifted her for him, he wouldn't take the opportunity for about 15 seconds. he'd just sit and look. does this mean he may not be virulent? or just a sign of a first timer?

How old is the Buck?
It may be just the first time jitters but,
often if a Buck is used for breeding when he is
too young and not ready he can become frightened
and may never breed in the future. I like to wait
until the reach Senior weight or very close to it.
He may have got the job done and was just tired
from the experience. The Buck does not always have
to fall over backwards.
Best of luck with your breeding program.
Ottersatin. :eek:ldtimer:

he is 8 months old and senior weight. he finally just lay down after 3 coverings of the second doe. fingers crossed. he was a little jittery but he warmed up after a while. towards the end he wasn't so much scared, just clueless. but the second doe was a bit rough on him, so i think that is part of the reason he gave up.

Latest posts

Back