Register

Judging a Doe's Readiness and Breeding Tips

Discussions and questions about how best to keep your breeding program running smoothly.
2 years of membership2 years of membership
United States of America Female
BunnyBucks: 6,122.00

Re: Judging a Doe's Readiness and Breeding Tips

Post Number:#76  Unread postby macksmom98 » Sun Oct 25, 2015 3:34 pm

Have you let them try in an exercise pen outside? That's what works for mine when they aren't feeling it......and sometimes it takes a couple trys.

3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 3,797.00

Post Number:#77  Unread postby jimmywalt » Sun Oct 25, 2015 6:09 pm

macksmom98 wrote:Have you let them try in an exercise pen outside? That's what works for mine when they aren't feeling it......and sometimes it takes a couple trys.

Macksmom98........... We never heard how your story ended from February???? Was she pregnant? How many did she have??? Details.............. :)

Post Number:#78  Unread postby macksmom98 » Sun Oct 25, 2015 7:17 pm

I may have not posted it here, but I did post pics! She went thru a false pregnancy, I rebred her on day 20 (which was in March), then she had kits on 4/11 and 4/12. That's right, they were actually born on 2 different days! We felt extremely lucky. On Saturday in the afternoon we saw she had 2 good sized babies. Tried not to disturb her much but just thought that was it because I had heard they usually kindle quickly. We can home from church the next day to find her with 5 more! One was really stretched and another chewed and dead under the cage, so we ended up with 5. She was a great first time mom at 18
Months old, and nursed her last one til about 20 weeks until I realized she was still allowing it to get under her (and that had become really funny looking) and I separated them. Then the hot summer hit and we took a break as I didn't want her to have to deal with the extra stress of being pregnant. Now it's prime season for us, and we are hoping to get going after dealing with heat sterility. We purchased more and are hoping they are all 3 pregnant, but nothing yet. Still waiting, due any day and one of them is her.....thanks for asking!

-- Sun Oct 25, 2015 5:30 pm --

Here they are! We kept the black tort doe:)

gallery/image_page.php?album_id=3&image_id=3254

The following user would like to thank macksmom98 for this post
jimmywalt

1 year of membership
BunnyBucks: 2,068.00

Post Number:#79  Unread postby Petlover500 » Mon Oct 26, 2015 4:05 pm

Thank you so much MamaSheepdog!!
This is very very helpful :D
http://happyheartedanimalrescue.weebly.com/

The following user would like to thank Petlover500 for this post
MamaSheepdog

1 year of membership
Female
BunnyBucks: 1,695.00

Post Number:#80  Unread postby ipoGSD » Thu Jan 28, 2016 2:15 am

I have a question. What do the does area look like during pregnancy and what does it look like when they are about to kindle? Anyone have any pics? If there are visible changed, maybe someone could do another sticky? ;)

Ty :)

5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 87,508.00

Post Number:#81  Unread postby MamaSheepdog » Thu Jan 28, 2016 10:40 am

Petlover500 wrote:Thank you so much MamaSheepdog!!
This is very very helpful :D

You're welcome! "A picture is worth a thousand words" they say! ;) You can read about color and size changes all day long, but until you actually see it you don't really know what you are looking for, lol.

ipoGSD wrote:What do the does area look like during pregnancy and what does it look like when they are about to kindle?

I don't really ever check them during pregnancy, but that is a good idea... conveniently, I just bred three does, so I will try to remember to check them periodically.

As for what the vent looks like just prior to giving birth, I have only one experience to share.

I once had a mixed group of does and bucks left together too long in a growout pen, and was palpating and checking the does over to see if any were pregnant. I didn't feel any kits in one doe, so checked her vent, and was horrified to find it HUGELY swollen and discolored- it must have been at least the diameter of a dime! Well, lo and behold, a couple of hours later she started giving birth on the wire. :shock: :oops: :shock:

Thankfully, I was still working in the rabbit area, so was able to quickly get her a nestbox and saved the kits. :)
Victory Garden Rabbits

Proud new owner of the highly coveted Get-away-with-it-card! (Homer's gift to me in a feeble attempt to curry favor and avoid the ban hammer.)

I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery. - Thomas Jefferson

The following user would like to thank MamaSheepdog for this post
ipoGSD

1 year of membership
Female

Post Number:#82  Unread postby ipoGSD » Fri Jan 29, 2016 3:58 pm

Well I replied to this the other day but I guess I didn't hit post lol

Anyway, ty MSD, I was hoping you would think this was a good idea :) you know your stuff and I appreciate everything I've read from you. (Been reading lots of new and old posts)

I look forward to your pics :)

5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 87,508.00

Post Number:#83  Unread postby MamaSheepdog » Fri Jan 29, 2016 6:34 pm

ipoGSD wrote:Well I replied to this the other day but I guess I didn't hit post lol

I've done that a time or twenty myself! :oops: :lol:

ipoGSD wrote:Anyway, ty MSD, I was hoping you would think this was a good idea :) you know your stuff and I appreciate everything I've read from you. (Been reading lots of new and old posts)

Thank you for the compliment! I must confess that although I read all I could find prior to and in the early stages of raising rabbits, that finding RT is where the real learning began. You just can't beat the wealth of knowledge of our wonderful members here. :D
Victory Garden Rabbits

Proud new owner of the highly coveted Get-away-with-it-card! (Homer's gift to me in a feeble attempt to curry favor and avoid the ban hammer.)

I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery. - Thomas Jefferson

The following user would like to thank MamaSheepdog for this post
ipoGSD

1 year of membership
Female

Post Number:#84  Unread postby ipoGSD » Sun Feb 07, 2016 2:30 am

You're very welcome :)

I'm not sure what it means but, ebonys area is a deeper pink, not too swollen. Rubys area is very light pink and not swollen at all. (Like pic #1 in this thread)

When I thought they were close to kindling they seemed pretty close in their cycles. Which is why I thought they were both getting ready to have their kits. (Deep pink and swollen)

Not sure if rabbits sync up in cycles like us humans do and even dogs. But but this could prove to be good info for the possible new sticky ;)

I'll keep checking and update any differences, to attempt to help offer any info towards finding out differences between pregnant and non pregnant areas. And if I see what looks like a ready doe, I will breed. I don't want to miss a cycle if that's what it is.

Ps I have also been learning alotttttt from this site. There are so many people here that know their stuff!! :)

-- Sun Jan 31, 2016 8:44 pm --

Rubys area is still very white-white-ish pink and slim

Ebonys is still a little darker and a little thicker. (Nothing like the ready doe pics tho)

Not sure if this info will prove useful. But ya never know

-- Sun Feb 07, 2016 2:30 am --

Hi MSD, any pics to show what a pregnant does area looks like if pregnant?

Female
BunnyBucks: 55.00

Post Number:#85  Unread postby CynthiaG » Tue Jul 19, 2016 9:21 am

So I had a random question but why would a female mount a buck???? Lol I had tried it the other day he mounted her then they chased then she mounted him and I was like "crap don't tell me they gave me an other buck" I grabbed her and checked and nope she was a girl for sure lol I was just wondering why she would do so,etching like that, is it good or bad, and or how would it affect the buck for he seemed a little off put after that. Took him a while to get back into the groove lol. Thanks also for all the helpfully information being posted!!!

Site Supporter
1 year of membership
United States of America Male
BunnyBucks: 738.00

Post Number:#86  Unread postby TheChad » Tue Jul 19, 2016 11:40 am

CynthiaG wrote:So I had a random question but why would a female mount a buck???? Lol I had tried it the other day he mounted her then they chased then she mounted him and I was like "crap don't tell me they gave me an other buck" I grabbed her and checked and nope she was a girl for sure lol I was just wondering why she would do so,etching like that, is it good or bad, and or how would it affect the buck for he seemed a little off put after that. Took him a while to get back into the groove lol. Thanks also for all the helpfully information being posted!!!

My guess is would be to show dominance. You see this a lot in dogs.

Post Number:#87  Unread postby macksmom98 » Tue Jul 19, 2016 12:18 pm

There can be several reasons, trying to establish dominance can be one. It can also be communication to him that she wants him to do it back:) Whatever the reason, its totally normal. Its common to see Does mounting each other too. That is why its advisable that they are not housed with others, as it can cause stress and false pregnancies even with 2 females:)

Female
BunnyBucks: 55.00

Post Number:#88  Unread postby CynthiaG » Tue Jul 19, 2016 1:51 pm

Lol ok glad it's normal. I know dogs do it cause my female coonhound will mount any dog in sight so they know she's the hbic lol. Thanks y'all :)

BunnyBucks: 20.00

Post Number:#89  Unread postby Abby » Thu Jul 21, 2016 6:27 am

Wow!! This is great, and i loved the pictures. i alwasy re-breed after eight hours in case the sperm washes away, and i am glad you told about those vitamin and viniger stuff; i have had problems with great breedings and no litters. :angry: thanks!!! :D
Just a very ambitious girl who likes to make friends, have fun and help out :D ;) :)

BunnyBucks: 4,311.00

Post Number:#90  Unread postby WhWRabbitry » Thu Dec 01, 2016 3:00 pm

I recently got my first pair of English Lops (I've been raising Mini Lops).
The doe is 6 months and the buck 10. Would those who have raised this breed agree with things I've read that a good age to wait to breed an E Lop doe is 9 months? or is it more based on weight?

Thanks!

Previous