Jackalope?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NOrabeets

Reaction score
Does anybody have any experience making their own jackalope? I've found a rabbit taxidermy bust form and have readily available stag horns...but I've only cleaned my rabbits and discarded the fur. Any pointers or links?

how do you plan on tanning or preserving the skin?

It's pretty easy to take the whole bust skin, just practice a few times removing the head skin from rabbits you don't intend to mount first. Turning and thinning the lips is delicate work. Don't try to turn the ears or use ear liners on rabbits unless you REALLY know what your doing. Just turn them enough to remove the meat from the ear bases. You can handle the ears and shape them as they dry. If you don't they will dry all crinkled.

Sizing is a big issue, make sure the eye size on your animal match up with the eyes on the bust. I don't know which jackrabbit form your using, but I do know that many cottontail forms are much smaller then 5 lb meat rabbits..

Domestic rabbit faces are totally shaped different than any wild buns, so make sure you have some taxidermy clay to build up the form and fill out the face.

Back