Ivermectin

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SatinsRule

Reaction score
The posts recently about parasites got me to thinking about getting a bottle of Ivermectin, and I broke down and bought a bottle of it yesterday.

Since there are no instructions, dosages, etc. listed in the product instructions, how am I supposed to administer this stuff to my rabbits, and how much do you folks who've used it recommend per rabbit?

Thanks in advance.

I've used the pour on for some rabbits that I picked up..er..rescued that had very bad fur mites. I used 3 drops on the back of their neck, up by their ears. This did take care of them.

ladysown":hhg4apep said:
o.o8 ml/lb subq is what has been tested.

Is this just for rabbits? I am curious because I think one of my cats may have ear mites and if that would take care of it, I can do that. She is not good at the vet. As a kitten she was very ill and in the animal hospital for months. I adopted her from the breeder when she was two, which was about a year ago. You could not even pick her up when we first got her...now, with time and patience, we can hold her, pet her, trim claws (1 or 2 at a time) and she even sleeps on or near me every night. Yesterday, she came and sat on my lap. This is a big deal and I don't want to traumatize her by taking her to the vet just for her ears. Plus, she will SHRED the vet and I need him for my other cats! :lol:

Simple oil usually takes care of ear mites in cats--mineral oil or even cooking oil. It is messy, and they don't really like it, and you have to do it a couple of times, but it does the trick and is safe.

A little squirt in each ear (use a medicine dropper or syringe w/o a needle) every few days, and they just shake their heads and the mites are dislodged--all over the house, lol. No worries, the oil kills them I think, but like I said, it is messy.

Ivermec is used on dogs for fur issues like mange, so I think it would also work, but I have no experience with cats and ivermec--they are not equal in many other things so I would hesitate to just try it an see.

there is a website, and Merck manual has a dosing for small animals rodents etc.
with horse wormer, I give about a large pea size, I have taken the time to do the math and weigh etc. but large pea works fine and I have read enough that, esp. with e. cuniclui that I'm to terribly concerned with a single large dose.

Injectable ivermectin can also be used orally and topically (will not treat internal parasites). We did it all the time with guinea pigs. A good site for dosages is http://homepage.mac.com/mattocks/morfz/rx/drugcalc.html . I treated all of mine orally with the 1% injectable ivomec based on the dosages from that site about 2 or 3 months ago.

I only know about the pour on. It was recommended to me. It is supposed to absorb into the skin. It is off label, but I've never had an issue.

Back