Ivermectin

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CritterCatcher

Reaction score
hi
well looking for some info from you guy/gals..

i dont seem to be able to find any info on Ivermectin and pregnant or nursing does???/ i have a doe with mites...well i had 3 with mites..i have used the mineral oil on all 3 ...2 of the does cleared right up...followed up with 2 more applications and still have 1 with mites...so i got some Ivermectin in the paste form....and i understand a small piece about the size of a pea...but CAN I USE IT ON pregnant or nuring doe???
CC

ok, can reduce the weight gain, but most uses are single dose, so you are fine

OH, and size, is entirely dependent on the percentage, but for 1% paste, and medium rabbit size, that's about right, there is a dosing calculator on rabitmed or medirabbit, I forget the site, but something like that.

Ivermectine/Zimectrine is not a problem,
though some may think differently.
I have even used a double dose with no problem.
The Fly in the ointment may be that a particular Rabbit may be allergic
to said Medication though I have never found one to be.
Every Medication should be used at your own risk as no testing was
ever done of any medications for rabbits. On the plus side,
there is a vast majority of rabbit breeders who will swear by certain medications.
I believe that Horse Past Wormer [Ivermectine] is of great value to the rabbit raiser/breeder.
Ottersatin. :eek:ldtimer:

Are you talking about ear mites? Put a drop or two of the ivermectin in the mineral oil and put that in the ears - clears it right up! And ivermectin is safe for pregnant and nursing animals.

I seem to recall having to use Ivermectin on Pearl when she was pregnant with her first litter. I'm not sure, but I think so. I remember thinking about the babies, and how I didn't want to treat them after they were born, and how they might have damage to their eyes and lungs from diatomaceous earth dust if I used that. So I used the Ivermectin.

I got the horse paste, 1.87%. Small pea size for Thumper (a little under 5 lbs.), average pea size for Pearl (a little over 6 lbs.). I think it was one dose every 10 days, for three doses total, to be sure you got the hatching ones as well.

We have used ivermectin on a pregnant doe with fur mites. We gave it to her via injection, very small dose don’t recall the amount. Then we gave her a follow up dose in about 2 weeks. It didn’t harm her or the kits and the mites cleared up.

Back