Ivermectin Injectable: Topically or orally?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LittleFluffyBunnies

Reaction score
As you know, I've been trying to treat my sister's rabbit with ear mites. The oil treatments didn't work. I finally was able to go and look for medication, but they only had injectable ivermectin, not a pour-on. I also asked about ear drops and listed rabbit-safe active ingredients, but there was nothing.
The rabbit is a Vienna carrier and I am not sure on safety of ivermectin.
I got Ivomec 1% injectable.
I read Homer's posts about using it topically or orally but I want to clarify.
Would it be safe for a Vienna rabbit?
How do I apply topically?
Or should I apply orally? How and what dosage?

I use Ivermectin on my REW Flemish Giants with no ill side effects.

.08cc per pound of rabbit for 3 days then give them a break and repeat one time in 11 days. Put the syringe in the corner of their mouth (with NO needle) and squirt it in. Not to fast so the don't inhale it and aspirate on it. Some I have to hold and other don't seem to mind it at all and just set there and let me give it to them.

Before giving the second day watch him for any adverse allergic reactions but I have never had a problem.

Good Luck! :clover: :clover: :clover:

I have used it on my rabbits with the Vienna gene as am injection with no ill side effects. It will clear the ear mites right up.

MaggieJ":2qeho617 said:
Glad to hear it! :bouncy:

She said they have been really busy lately and haven't been able to stop by so thought I'd update her thread and let you all know.
Just glad they are getting a handle on things and he's better. :clap2:

Hi, thanks so much Homer again for the help and for updating this thread for me! Life has been crazy of late :roll:

Olaf is responding well so far.
Thank goodness I know what to do now as I just found 2 of my breeding herd bunnies have ear mites as well :evil:
Seems like I'll be doing quite a bit of treating and cleaning these days :shock: :lol:

Back