It almost defeated me!

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GBov

Reaction score
I did a batch of older fryers and needed some fur for a litter of kits given to me without their nest so I cut the edges off a gold tipped steel does hide and cut it off the skin for the nest. With a bit of washing and drying it worked really well but, as I don't like to waste anything I thought I would go ahead and mayo tan the rest.

It was the strangest hide EVER!

Fleshed just fine, let it dry a bit, rubbed mayo on really well, let it dry a bit more and started stretching it.

That is where the strangeness started.

The hide was like cold rubber for most of two days! It would start to break and go all white - it was a dark blue hide - but when I would set it down or roll it up to do something else it would be right back to the start when I would pick it up or unroll it to work on it more. :shock:

Two days later it is finally done. Lots of tears but the shoulders and back are good.

Would it be the colder temps perhaps? Or can I look forward to all five being like that?

Mine ended up super slippery, couldn't get it to wash off or stretch. They dripped for months, never actually rotted...In the end, gave them to the Bulldog, she's been eying them since she saw me bring them in...
I'm sticking with salt/alum...Mayo tanning also made me incredibly hungry!

I have mayo tanned before and had really good results but this hide just wanted to feel like wet, cold, rubber.

Every time I do a new hide its just building on the ones before but this one was really strange. :shock: <br /><br /> __________ Sat Jan 18, 2014 9:09 pm __________ <br /><br /> And after all that work to get a soft fluffy hide, guess what?

The dog ate it!

:lol:

What?? I have never heard of mayo tanning before, but it's sounds really interesting.
Please expound :)
What is it in the mayo that gives the tanning effect? It's basically just eggs, oil and vinegar, right?
Might have to experiment with this one.........

KKRabbitry":3h9qeedy said:
What?? I have never heard of mayo tanning before, but it's sounds really interesting.
Please expound :)
What is it in the mayo that gives the tanning effect? It's basically just eggs, oil and vinegar, right?
Might have to experiment with this one.........

Mayo, eggs and brains all work the same way.

Having done all three I like brains best but I have to admit to feeling a bit like a zombie when harvesting rabbit brains. :lol:

Was the hide from a more mature rabbit than the ones you did before? If it was thicker it may have needed a lot more mayo than a hide from a younger rabbit.

Finally found it, this new layout is almost harder than the mayo hide!

It was a young fryer so it was very thin, it just never seemed to want to dry. Very strange.

Back