Is this tan-able?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Secuono

Reaction score
This is the skin off the kit that randomly died on me. On the right side, you can see the veins and skin is slightly green. This is on the abdomen and slightly going around both sides. Could this have anything to do with why it died?
Can I still tan it? It's now in the freezer, I only rinsed it off and put it into a bag in the freezer. I don't have any non-iodized salt.
skin.jpg

You just ended up with a lot of flesh. You will need noniodized salt. Soak it in saltwater overnight to pull the blood out before doing anything else and then I would follow the salt, alum instructions you can find various places online. You soak in a half strength solution of salt and aluminum sulfate, pull the flesh off, not too hard after soaking, and then resoak in a double strength solution, and finally stretch and soften your hide. Not real hard and cheap but of course you don't get the tan you would with commercial chemicals. It's called a pickle instead. You can use any other method you want but I would do the saltwater soak first because of the amount of blood and flesh on it. The water will come out red and it will help prevent staining on the fur even though it won't be that noticeable on black.

When you peel the flesh off the skin do it very carefully a little bit at a time. The skin on a young rabbit is very thin and you can tear a big hole in it before you even realize what you've done.

You can get non idodized salt in the grocery store labeled as cannning salt.

This rabbit was about 4wks and it's legs and spine could not hold it up for skinning. The skin didn't break at all even with all the pull I had to put into it just to get it off. Hoping the older ones, 12-14wks will have stronger legs...ugh.
Thanks.

I wonder if the reason there is so much flesh on the hide is due to the fact you couldn't skin him right away?

I hope the pelt turns out well so it isn't a total loss. Good luck!

I find you get more flesh when they are younger and older come off cleaner.

Latest posts

Back