Is This Plant(s) Safe / Plant ID Help

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

countitjoy5

Reaction score
Hi. My first post. Trying to identify what I have available growing to feed my rabbits. I found this weed and I can't identify it - it looks like good food for a rabbit but I want to make sure. It seems to be coming up recently:

1.jpg

Same plant in a patch, kind of shady...

2.jpg

Different plant looks somewhat similar, is this pigweed? Has serrated leaves, once again looks like something a rabbit would eat...

3.jpg

And the last is another closeup of the original...

4.png

Any help is appreciated, I find that I have many weeds that I cannot identify with the basic weed id guides

Hello Countitjoy5 and welcome! :hi:

First of all, you need to add your location to your profile. Like so many rabbit questions, knowing about where you are helps us to answer. Just your province or state is fine and maybe a direction like north-west or south-east.

I can't recognize the plants you photographed. I don't know if it is because you live in a different part of the continent or because you have garden plants mixed in with weeds.

Most of the best plants for rabbits are weeds, especially the European invasives that spring up wherever the ground is disturbed. Plese see the Safe Plants for Rabbits sticky for a list of some of them.
safe-plants-for-rabbits-list-t55.html

Common names are not a safe way to identify plants. Such names are often regional and may mean something completely different in another part of the country.

Your best approach is to find a good online site for weeds for your state or province. Lots of them out there for just about any location. If you can't find them, there is a good chance they are not common weeds but rather garden escapees. Ornamental plants are often toxic, so be very careful.

Hope this is helpful!

~ Maggie

Just want to second what Maggie said and to emphasize that you really need to know what a plant is before feeding it. Not everything that 'looks' good--green and tender and fresh--is safe to feed. And some things they really like, and that are good for them, don't necessarily look that impressive. I'm thinking of brambles--wild rose and blackberries here--with all those thorns. Or the willow we feed daily but the leaves are sort of grayish green, not so lush looking as lots of other leaves. Or the borage I picked for the rabbits while weeding in my herb garden--the leaves are sort of bristly.
Welcome to RT and best of luck with finding plants where you are that are good rabbit feed.

Latest posts

Back