Is this orange/fawn?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lyndseyrk

Reaction score
Okay, I know, I know, wait until they get older...but can anyone tell me the color of my 4-day old Mini Lops?

P2240006.jpg

The one on the left is a broken black.
The one on the right is a broken tort.
But what is the one in the middle? It's the exact same color as the tort, but without the darker areas. It looks orange/fawn to me.

The dam is a broken tort and sire is a blue otter.

Could be a very lightly marked tort - or chances are its an orange or something along that line. What colour are its parents?

Thanks! Yes, I can see a difference. Actually, it's easier to see the sepia color in the picture than you can in real life. Can you tell this is only my third litter of color? I'm used to seeing nothing but white. Pretty easy to tell what color they will be!

Okay, now something isn't right. I'm confused. I was looking at the genotypes of orange/fawn and chestnut. I don't know how that could be possible out of the parents.

Doe is tort: aaB_C_D_ee
Buck is blue otter: a(t)_B_C_ddE_

Chestnut and orange/fawn have to have an "A"...how can that be if the parents don't? Isn't A dominant over both a(t) and a? My buck couldn't be a(t)A, right? Maybe he's not a blue otter? The guy I got him from told me he was gray. At first I thought he was a blue tort, but the more I looked at pics of rabbits, he looks more like a blue otter. Am I missing something?<br /><br />__________ Wed Feb 24, 2010 7:09 pm __________<br /><br />Never mind. Found some much better pictures online and now I'm pretty sure he's an Opal, which makes since genetically.

lyndseyrk":2enc2on5 said:
Doe is tort: aaB_C_D_ee
Buck is blue otter: a(t)_B_C_ddE_

Chestnut and orange/fawn have to have an "A"...how can that be if the parents don't? Isn't A dominant over both a(t) and a?

To answer the question above, the a(t) TAN gene is dominant over the A Agouti gene. So the A could be carried as a hidden gene.
Check out this website which explains it fairly well.
http://www.thenaturetrail.com/Aa-Agouti-Otter-Self.htm

I think he's a little too orange to be an Opal. But he would still need the A agouti gene.
http://www.thenaturetrail.com/DGene.htm

Have a good day!

oh god...I'm SO lost...Opal? a(t)A? I need to go read up on rabbit genetics. About all I know is that if it's grey, it's called blue, or lavendar...depending on the breed. If it's called Grey, it's a breed.

I'm going back to my black new zealands. simple. easy. I like easy.....

rabbitgeek":2doezgom said:
I think he's a little too orange to be an Opal. But he would still need the A agouti gene.
http://www.thenaturetrail.com/DGene.htm

Have a good day!

I meant the buck as the Opal...

__________ Wed Feb 24, 2010 8:22 pm __________

rabbitgeek":2doezgom said:
To answer the question above, the a(t) TAN gene is dominant over the A Agouti gene. So the A could be carried as a hidden gene.
Check out this website which explains it fairly well.
http://www.thenaturetrail.com/Aa-Agouti-Otter-Self.htm

That is the exact link that I was looking at. But the way your saying it, the A as a hidden gene, that would make the buck a(t)A...after reading the article, I thought all otters had to be a(t)a(t) or a(t)a...

__________ Wed Feb 24, 2010 8:23 pm __________

DevonW":2doezgom said:
Opal has ring colour, blue otter does not. That is the easiest way to tell them apart.

Thanks for the tip! I've been trying to figure out the difference! I'll have to go blow in his coat tomorrow. It's already dark and snowing...I think I'll stay inside where it's warm.<br /><br />__________ Wed Feb 24, 2010 8:24 pm __________<br /><br />
DevonW":2doezgom said:
bblack.jpg

That would be a broken black. You can see how jet black it is versus the more sepia black yours is.

What color is the one of yours on the far right?

I got it backward. at is recessive to the A gene.

That's what I get for web surfing on my lunch hour.

a(t) a is the correct call out.

Have a good day!

OK, what is a tort? (in rabbit colors not legal terms) I have been looking around on the web, and I am geting all kinds of (sometimes) conflictiing answers. I am not asking about the genotype, but what the color looks like (phenotype).

Latest posts

Back