Is this opal? Sablesteel please help T.T

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KimitsuKouseki

Reaction score
Sorry to make a thread just for this since I'm pretty sure it is opal, but I wanted to make sure.

34yut8n.jpg

This is a baby from one of my current litters and the only one that might be worth keeping since the dad had..... an happy death?
:springtime: Basically he was sooooooo happy to be able to have fun with a female and he had so much fun that, once I put him back in his solo cage, when I checked on him 1hour later he was dead -/-(
Anyways, problem is the whole litter is single mane exept 2 and one of those is black and I refuse to have black in my stock anymore. So the only one left is this kit. 2 of his siblings are blue self and he's in the same shade but agouti. Pretty sure that makes him opal right? Never had an opal before, also pretty sure he's male. Also do you guys think he's worth keeping? And is he at risk of dying on me like his dad the day he'll get deflowered??

Looks opal to me
And I know of quite a few times the buck died after breeding, none of my bucks, luckily. most the time their sons were fine, but I'd still keep an eye on him; maybe table breed instead of breeding in cages.

First thanks everyone for the replies ^^

SableSteel":11j2e0gu said:
Looks opal to me
And I know of quite a few times the buck died after breeding, none of my bucks, luckily. most the time their sons were fine, but I'd still keep an eye on him; maybe table breed instead of breeding in cages.

I've never done table breeding, how does it work? and glad to know it's not unheard of for the daddy to be too happy.

You put the female on a grooming table, hold her head down (if she likes to run) and then put the male on the grooming table too. You stand there and make sure they don't fall off.

SableSteel":15ic8pic said:
You put the female on a grooming table, hold her head down (if she likes to run) and then put the male on the grooming table too. You stand there and make sure they don't fall off.
Oh I guess I've done that before, but my males dont like when I hold the female. They completly lose interrest in her if my hand is there.

honestly... just let them breed. Just cause dad died doesn't mean the son will. Might have been a hidden heart defect. If son copies dad you know it's a line you probably shouldn't continue.

ladysown":34pzsn5a said:
honestly... just let them breed. Just cause dad died doesn't mean the son will. Might have been a hidden heart defect. If son copies dad you know it's a line you probably shouldn't continue.
You're right, makes total sense.

That litter is weird to sex btw, I did my official sexing of my 3 curent litters and it was the only one where I had issue. The "boy" we are talking about atm looked like a girl this time but it was iffy to the point I kept thinking I was just having wishfull thinking. Gonna have to resex em in a week :/ If it's female, too bad it's not blue insted of opal but I'll keep it for sure. If it's male I decided that unless the mane is oustanding I wont keep it.

Back