Is this kind of cage large enough?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jim S

Reaction score
This is commercially available in my country (the UK) as an import from Spain.

I could use some more educated opinions than mine, as to whether this is large enough, and as to whether there are any obvious drawbacks, other than that, that you can see?

https://www.miscota.co.uk/small-animals/gaun/p-91800

My first post, so I'm hoping that will work as a hyperlink - if it doesn't, the dimensions are 20" (width) x 27" (depth) x 14" (height)

There isn't much information on the site. Does it have a wire bottom for waste to pass through? If so is there a pan to collect the waste? What gage wire? I guess it's barely big enough.

Yeah, it's got a wire bottom, but there doesn't seem to be any pan to collect the waste, so that is something the owner would need to see to.

I wasn't necessarily thinking the larger meat rabbits, like New Zealands, to start with - would you think a medium sized rabbit would be comfortable in that space?

Smaller breeds will be OK specially if they are not the breeds that like to run around a lot. You can make a pen out of fence wire under the cages for you animals to run around a bit when they are not in the cage. If you're eating them around 8 weeks they wouldn't have time to get bored. They'll just be eating and putting on weight.

first, - let me say, i raise meat rabbits , New Zealand, and California. [or similar size rabbits]
I don't like the smaller cages for "breeding Does" . [IE: 24" deep, 30" wide, 14, or 16" high] i think they are too small, for a doe and a litter of 8 ... I like a roomier cage[ IE: 24" deep, 36" wide, 18 or 20" high. In my experience, ..the rabbits are "healthier" with more room to move around .

Thanks, chaps - this is exactly the sort of informed info I was after, much appreciated.

Any recommendations as to which breeds these might be a better fit for? I take on board what's been said about probably not being suitable for the types that like to run around a lot - which did you have in mind?

Dutch is a small rabbit around 5 pounds. Mini-lop is about the same size and lay back. I try to handle and pet them daily as soon as possible. Otherwise rabbits will kick, bite, and scratch when it comes time to process them.

I like a meat cross , new zealand or California buck/ over dutch does, For me [and genetics vary] the dutch doe, was able to raise a litter of 7 or 8 to 4 lbs in 8 weeks. The feed cost, was considerably less than my new zealand does... the drawback was color,- the meat market began paying less for colored rabbits, - so i moved away from that cross... The dutch is a smaller rabbit, and did well raising a litter ,in the commercial cages i had at the time, measuring 24" deep, 30" wide, 16" high. - in my opinion, the cage is still too tight for a dutch doe and a litter of 8, raised to 8 weeks... earlier weaning solves that problem.

Back