Is this Email ok?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bandits Bunny Farm

Reaction score
So I came across this ad on Craigslist. image.jpg

And because it states that the kits are only 4 weeks old, I sent her this email:

Hi, I was emailing you regarding you're bunnies. I am a rabbit breeder myself and I was a bit alarmed that the ad stated that the bunnies are 4 weeks old. I hope you are not rehoming them at this age. At 4 weeks old they are too young to leave their mother. You should wait until they are at least eight weeks old.

I start advertising my bunnies for sale when they turn 2 weeks old, (because it gives me more time for people to request, and every week I update their pictures.) but I make sure to put in my ad that I will not let them leave until they are at least 8 weeks old.

The mother rabbit does wean her young at about 3-4 weeks old (because in the wild, they would be getting ready to give birth to another litter by the time the current litter is 3-4 weeks old), but the extra 4 weeks spent with their mother gives them more skills, such as eating from a bowl, or drinking from a bottle, etc.

I don't mean to offend if I did, but I just wanted to state my concerns as a rabbit breeder. I hope you understand.

Sincerely,
Rachel Read
Bandit's Bunny Farm
banditsbunnyfarm.weebly.com

http://merced.craigslist.org/grd/4932067749.html

Sent from my iPhone

Does it sound ok?

The mother rabbit does wean her young at about 3-4 weeks old

This isn't a factual statement. Rabbits who are not expecting another litter will often keep on feeding their kits until 8 weeks, or even longer. From my experiences... I'm not even sure that saying most rabbits wean at 3-4 weeks would be a fact.

And then there are those...(like Mucky) who just carry things to extremes. :roll:

If it legal where they are (and it may not be)
I just try to ignore people who sell them that young, and advise others not to buy from them, if asked about it.

However...had I seen that add...I may not have been able to resist informing them that mini chinchilla isn't a breed. :)

I wouldn't worry about it..It reads like you are just giving your opinion...If anyone gets back to you they will probably just tell you to mind your own business,and that as a "seller" of rabbits you wouldn't want them to tell you what to do..But I agree with you 4 weeks is to early to leave mom...I have two litters of 4 week old kits now and even though one is trying to ween the other is not.and the little ones will be in moms cage until 7-8 weeks.
The ad says Easter bunnies so it does look like she is ready to let them go..Easter is May 5....

katiebear":zd5f6y0x said:
I wouldn't worry about it..It reads like you are just giving your opinion...If anyone gets back to you they will probably just tell you to mind your own business,and that as a "seller" of rabbits you wouldn't want them to tell you what to do..But I agree with you 4 weeks is to early to leave mom...I have two litters of 4 week old kits now and even though one is trying to ween the other is not.and the little ones will be in moms cage until 7-8 weeks.
The ad says Easter bunnies so it does look like she is ready to let them go..Easter is May 5....

Yeah, she'll probably tell me to just bug off... But at least I know that I did the right thing

Bandits Bunny Farm":2oma266y said:
katiebear":2oma266y said:

Yeah, she'll probably tell me to just bug off... But at least I know that I did the right thing

Good for you. I'm glad you stepped up. The seller MIGHT not be letting them go this young, but I would have wanted to say something as well. Good job. :)

I believe you did the right thing. She may just ignore you, but I would have done the same thing too.

I just emailed a customer of mine who in my opinion is getting into too many rabbits too fast. I meant the email to be an informative one, and told her if she wanted to talk about her rabbitries goals I'd be happy to help her sort it out. I've gotten three days of silence from this email, and I think she's either insulted or contemplating what I've said. Either way, I may mean no sales for me, but I'm okay with that as long as she realizes that she may want to slow down just a tad so she has cage space to work on her breeds.

I agree with the others :)

I think your response was very tactful and you politely expressed your concerned for the welfare of the bunnies.

This may have been an un-planned litter and the seller doesn't know that kits shouldn't be sold so young :shrug:

Some long time breeders are not willing to change their practices with the changing information and times. I've run across this many times with old timer dog breeders. New facts come with time and we, as breeders, need to learn to adapt to the times and never stop learning. Education is the key to life. And it's a life long process. I would never pay for a 4wk old animal of any kind, and would not have taken Cookie if there was any other way. I do believe it might even be illegal to sell any animal at that age. But you would have to check your local laws. Thank you for sticking your neck out and stepping up.

That was kind of what I expected you'd see.

"Most return for another?" Probably after the first one dies... Though they don't seem to make that mistake a third time.

It looks like it's illegal to sell them that age in your state though:
http://wabbitwiki.com/wiki/Rabbit_sale_laws_in_the_US

I wonder if they had ever heard of that in their "30 years of experience" ?

Technically, just by offering them for sale, they are breaking the law right now.

Well that explains it... she's an idiot. :roll:

Like Zass said, the 'return' buyers are probably because the baby died. Poor things. There are good reasons why laws are in place regarding the sale of young animals. The ad should be reported, and reported to your local animal control as well, honestly. They are not only breaking the law, they don't care about the babies (even worse in my opinion). :(

I agree it is a horrid practice, but unless she lives in L.A. County, she's not breaking the law. I read the Wiki, and double checked statutes.

Bummer :(

I am surprised that as a breeder for 30 years s/he doesn't know what their breeding as a "mini chinchilla" is not a breed I've ever heard of :mrgreen: and none of the rabbits in the ad are chinchilla coloured either :shock:

You cannot help people who enjoy being ignorant and are in bliss :shrug:

katiebear":370j2ufz said:
Well..you could turn her in..or flag her ad..I guess...depending on how much of a p.I.t.a. you want to be..

I'd say report her anyway.

Hell, share the link and I'll report her. Maybe a bunch of us will. :mrgreen: <br /><br /> __________ Fri Mar 27, 2015 12:56 pm __________ <br /><br />
Dood":370j2ufz said:
Bummer :(

I am surprised that as a breeder for 30 years s/he doesn't know what their breeding as a "mini chinchilla" is not a breed I've ever heard of :mrgreen: and none of the rabbits in the ad are chinchilla coloured either :shock:

You cannot help people who enjoy being ignorant and are in bliss :shrug:

I know, Dood - that 'got' me too. :roll:

Back