Is this buck worth looking at? Help please!

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Silver Willow

Reaction score
I hope this is the right section to be posting in... but anyway.

I recently found an advertisement on our New Zealand version of Craigslist, called Trade Me.

The buck that I had sent down from 8 hours away, I found had split penis. GREAT. The person I bought him off said nothing about it. Nothing at all. I am still greatly upset about it, he was going to be a massive break through with the quality of our herd. She said that she had gotten two litters from him, so is it still possible to breed him? Is Split penis genetic? Any answers in this area would be appreciated :)

But anyway, the advert I found was for a blue charlie Netherland Dwarf buckling. Here's the link with pics: http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing ... =759766178

Do you think it would be worth having a look at him? I need answers soon, as bunnies like that usually sell pretty fast to pet homes around here.

Thanks!

lil critter dwarfs":2vx7flt9 said:
Is Split penis genetic? Any answers in this area would be appreciated :)

I believe so. I would not recommend breeding him. :( There are ways to get around it though.

It would be great to see a posed pic of the buck. Do you know if he's a false charlie or a true charlie?

Split penis is believed to be genetic - http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Uro_gen_di ... lit_en.htm

It can cause them to pee wonky so hutch burn is more likely, decrased fertility due to sperm getting deposited outside the reproductive tract and can cause a curvature to the penis so penetration is not possible

I don't see anything horribly wrong with the buck, I am not familiar with the standard of perfection for Nethies in New Zealand but his head a bit undersized compared to his body and thows of this balance and makes him look a bit "pin headed"

Really? How so?

Ok, I'll email them and ask if they can- I actually doubt they'd be able to post him though. I think me and my sister are the only ones in out whole area who know anything about posing out breed :roll: I can try though. Um... how do you tell? Sorry, I'm still kind of new to the genetic thing <br /><br /> __________ Mon Jul 28, 2014 1:50 pm __________ <br /><br />
Dood":1eikl7wi said:
Split penis is believed to be genetic

I don't see anything horribly wrong with the buck, I am not familiar with the standard of perfection for Nethies in New Zealand but his head a bit undersized compared to his body and thows of this balance and makes him look a bit "pin headed"
Yes, that is what I thought when I first saw him. It is a common fault for the NDs here. But I guess if I went to see him I could have a look at the sire and dam?

Supposedly, a buck that does not show it doesn't carry the gene. So if you get any offspring from him, keep only normal bucks. Does however, could have the gene and pass it on, because you would not be able to tell because she's already split.

At least that is the theory. I've never tried, I just cull, but in your situation I could see the need to explore it further.

skysthelimit":1bj6q6e5 said:
Supposedly, a buck that does not show it doesn't carry the gene. So if you get any offspring from him, keep only normal bucks. Does however, could have the gene and pass it on, because you would not be able to tell because she's already split.

At least that is the theory. I've never tried, I just cull, but in your situation I could see the need to explore it further.
Ok, that clears it up a bit. Thank you :) So I could still do a test breed with him and one of our does, and keep a normal buck from that litter as a replacement?

lil critter dwarfs":131ralxt said:
skysthelimit":131ralxt said:

Ok, that clears it up a bit. Thank you :) So I could still do a test breed with him and one of our does, and keep a normal buck from that litter as a replacement?

Yes, and any does from that litter I would either pet out or cull.

Ok, thank you everyone! I bred the buck, 'Mr Chubby', to one of our two does yesterday. He mounted and fell off twice, so I'm hoping we will have a litter soon. I think I might just leave the blue charlie buckling for now. He'll probably get snatched up by some person wanting a cute little bunny as a pet anyway ;)

Back