Is there a name for this colour?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MaggieJ

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Rabbit Talk Supporter
Reaction score
I'm not overly concerned with correct colour names for our meat mutts, but I'm tired of referring to this rabbit as "the young browny-black doe". She is our keeper from Alice's December litter. Alice is black with white on nose, throat and feet. Jasper, the sire, is a NZR. This youngster in some lights looks like a rich mahogany frosted with black. In other lights she looks more like a very dark agouti. She has dark eyes.
browndoe.jpgbowndoe2.jpgbrowndoe3.jpg

Variations of this colour have popped up from time to time. I was rather pleased that this gal was the best of the does from that litter. I don't save on the basis of colour because we are talking meat mutts here, but it's always nice to have a variety of colours in the nest box. Lately the kits have mostly been red or fawn - not surprising with a NZR daddy.

Looks like a sha-gouti to me. That is when you take a shaded and breed it to a agouti. Looks like a sable with a chestnut.

I don't think it's quite a gold-tipped steel. It is way too shaded looking for one. I'd say a sable, but more likely a sable steel. Flash on a sable or a sable steel can make their color look awfully funny.

And by the way, there is no such thing as a sha-gouti. There ARE sable chinchillas, smoke pearl chinchillas, sable steels & smoke pearl steels.

Qadoshyah

Brody":938kaaio said:
umm dark brown?

:lol: Works for me, Brody, although that really doesn't describe the black over brown shading. In some lights she looks like brown velvet airbrushed with black. However I notice this less often lately and the ticking/tipping seems more pronounced.

I know! I'll just give her a name and then I won't have to refer to her by colour at all! :D

Not golden steel, if what I had was any example, seems agouti based
the guard hairs are black, with steel, they would hold the color

Let's name her BROWNIE

hahahahahaha - i slay me :)

I'm awful - i keep thinking - hmm i wonder what colour you are in rabbit speak when i look at our gang .. and then i think - nearly black; cream, whatever ... LOL
moonkitten is a greta help but the wierd colours just don't stick in my brain :)

It looks sable too me.if shes any agouti and you blow into her fur you will see different ring colors.

Latest posts

Back