Is it time to clip?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Farm Girl

Reaction score
My Angora rabbit has lost all its wispy hair on her right side, where its supposed to be 3"inches its now about 1 1/2"
Is it time to clip her? or what do I do?

Thanks in advance,
Farm Girl

sounds like her coat is slipping
if you pull lightly on a whispy bit does it come away easily in your fingers? (if so that's plucking her) I pluck rather than clip but I'd imagine you are just past the time to clip - you might want to pluck any long hairs and let her coat grown in evenly til just before this point next time then clip her? or clip her all evenly now - it may take two cycles to correct as you will likely be clipping new growth if I understand what you are describing right..

Thanks brody, I tried pulling some of the wispy hair and a little bit of it came out but not a lot.
So you don't need to clip them do you? you can just pluck and it will be fine?

I forgot, I did brush her quite a bit this morning and I got a lot of hair (fluff, angora, fur, whatever you like to call it :D )
so that might be why I didn't get much when I pulled it.

I don't clip unless I'm catching up (ie I'm mid clip with Puff as his coat slipped in between my fil and step dad's deats so he got matted and yucky)

I comb and comb and pluck usually :)

so you can choose to comb all the slipping hairs out or you cna chose to clip ...(which I really think should be called scissoring as the word clipping brings my dogs and horses and electrical shears to mind)

You can pull a bit harder when plucking than just "it comes off in my hand", too. Plucking is like plucking the shedding hair from a dog...when you pull there's a bit of a tug back, but it slides out. Grab a full pinch of wool between your thumb and first finger, and pull. Hold the bunny's side with your other hand. Pulling straight out, or UP works quite well for me.

When you roll back the hair on the bunny, if it's a colored rabbit (anything but white) you will probably see a difference in the color of the hair when they are ready to be plucked. The slipping coat is usually lighter at the root than the new hair.

One way to tell if your rabbit is ready to pluck, is when you see hair caught on the cage wires. Not just a strand or two, but you'll see quite a bit.

Also, with an angora you should be grooming him at least once a week, so you'll see the brush or comb start to fill up with wool as you groom. Then you know IT'S TIME! :D

Good Morning, I know what you mean by the brush filling up with hair.
Yesterday I brushed her and got about 4 or 5 brushes full. I'll start plucking her today
Thanks for all the advice.

Back