Is it ok to continue to bring kits to Doe for feeding?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

macksmom98

Reaction score
Just wondering if I can continue to keep my 3 week old kits separate from mom and continue to bring them to her only for feedings? Will they need to be able to get her cecotropes? Or will that happen at the time of feeding and it's ok to remove them? They just started to eat pellets and hay, and drink water. We have them in the house and its much easier to keep them all separated. The doe will only use her litter box if shes in a really confined area for the primary part of the day, and the space is just too small with the kits in there too.....But I want the kits to get all that they need:). In the past when I have done this, it has been to make sure that they are gettin fed and they go back in with mom after the first week. Thanks!

They should be totally fine! :) I find it easiest to do this in fact. I started doing this at first when I didn't trust my old doe with the kits and it became a regular thing I do. I usually bring the kits out 2x a day to nurse until about 4-5 weeks old, and switch to once a day. I find it beneficial for many reasons:
*I feel safer when they are inside where I can see them.
*They don't get too hot or too cold.
*I don't have to worry about mom trampling them or lashing out if she gets annoyed of their pestering.
*They are close by and easily accessible to hold when I need a cuddle buddy for a movie. ;) :D (I like tame kits)
*I can monitor who is eating, making sure after each feed to check for fat tummies for all. (Doing it this way I was quickly able to see one of my recent kits not nursing, and figure out to the hour of when she stopped.)

Really the only downside I can see is if you don't like the kits smelling up your house. I don't mind cleaning the tray out frequently so it isn't a concern for me. And one downside people may think of is loosing doe and kit bonding time, which really isn't necessary if you are going to sell all the kits anyway imo. ;)

Back