Is Bertha really Bert? A question about Flemish Giants.

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Iggysbabysitter

Reaction score
I have a Flemish, who was confirmed as female when she was maybe 6 weeks. But now she is almost 4 months and hasn't started growing a dew lap, her companions have both grown thiers quite a bit (different breeds, about the same age). When does the dew lap develope in FG? OR... When do the testicles finally make themselves appearent?
She has no interest in my male, he has little intrest in her (I know, she's not ready to breed yet, he escaped from my kids a few times), and she doesn't mount any of the does as she is the youngest/smallest.

(Background info: she was bought too young, had a bout of GI problems and nearly died, and now lives in the lap of luxury in the laundryroom/recroom with 2 other does, and is FINALLY starting to gain some weight/fat)

Not all does develop a dew lap that early and Flemish Giants, being a large breed, may be later than some other breeds.

Why not just turn her over and take a good look. You don't need to wait for the testicles to show to tell which you have. Here's a good photo essay to help. If you can zoom in it will make the differences clearer.

http://www.rudolphsrabbitranch.com/sexing.htm

Thanks MaggieJ, I'll go over it later :).
Pastelsummer: The flemish giant is the friendliest of all my bunnies :) She's so outgoing, and comical, and someday will be too big to hide in most places (I've had to babyproof very well for my toy poodle and free roaming iguana anyway). Bigger = more poop. And slow maturing means slow to litter trian well. She's a messy girl, but very adorable.

Back