Is Amaranth good for rabbits?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GBov

Reaction score
As pumpkins do VERY badly for me - every kind of borer and bug known lives here - I am trying to find other things to grow to feed the buns and Amaranth looks a good bet for my climate.

It seems to come in both greens and grain form, which would be best for the rabbits? Can they even eat Amaranth grain?

I did do a search but perhaps it failed due to my reverse computer skills? :oops: :lol:

We grew amaranth and fed some to the rabbits last year. Expected it to self seed as it had the previous year but it didn't so we didn't have any this year. Lots of different types, some ornamental and some for grain. We grew opopeo from Fedco seeds. We ate the leaves of the young plants and fed them to goats and rabbits. The grain didn't work out so well-full of bugs and hard to separate them out. Plan to grow it again this year and feed the whole seed head to the chickens where the bugs are just a bonus. i remember warnings about feeding it to rabbits and would, as with all feed, start off slowly and offer a variety so they don't have to eat it or go hungry.

Latest posts

Back