Is 1 Year Old Too Old First Time?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OldEnglishSilvers88

Reaction score
I bought a Silver Fox doe with papers last month. Breeder told me she was living with a 5 year old buck for 3 weeks before I bought her, breeder said she maybe pregnant. Well, I've waited 31+ days and no kits. Yesterday I put her in with my (proven) pedigreed Silver Fox buck. He is 1 year old and knows his job well lol. He mounted her and tried to breed but no fall-offs, she seemed interested but won't lift. She is also overweight. The breeder feeds her rabbits cracked corn and 12% all stock sweet feed! :|

She is now eating normal rabbit pellets and has dropped weight. My question is, is it safe to breed a near 1 year old doe who is fat? She was born February 13, 2016. She is an absolutely BEAUTIFUL doe! I really want some kits from her. She has show winning lines from Alaska and Georgia. Someone told me after a specific time without breeding, does can become sterile?! Sorry for all the newbie questions (I'm a new breeder). :bunnyhop:

The reason (in my opinion) that they can lose fertility after going a long time between breedings is because they get fat - being fat is a much greater hit on fertility than a few months age. Fat on does can also cause problems with birth. I'd get her down to weight first, then try to breed her.

The main risk of breeding overweight does would be pregnancy toxemia/ketosis. It can happen if there is a rapid drop in blood sugar late term. I would say it is relatively rare, but.. I do see people on FB posting about a pregnant or just-kindled doe dropping dead without symptoms every now and then. It may just be that it progresses from almost no sign to death very quickly, and is near impossible to diagnose from autopsy.

I still don't think it's all that big of a risk if you monitor her closely, and make sure she doesn't go off feed for more than a day or two before kindling.

Thanks guys!

She is not obese, just 1-3lbs overweight. So instead of 12 lbs (senior breed doe weight) she is probably 14-16 lbs. Any ideas on how to get her to lose weight? Could I breed her now or just wait?

Is she overweight because of fat, or is she just a large doe? Usually the easiest place to feel for excess fat is over their shoulders -if you feel fat there, you might want to start cutting back the amount of feed she gets.

Latest posts

Back