Is 1" x 2" 14-gauge wire okay for cage sides ?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HOWsMom

Rabbit Talk Supporter
Reaction score
I am having a REALLY difficult time sourcing 1"x1" 14-gauge wire locally, and I'm sure that it's crazy expensive to ship, but I CAN fine 1" x 2" wire by the roll.

I'd like to try my hand at making some cages. I know I need the 1" x 1/2" for the floor, and I can find that - but I want sides that allow for petting ;)

I'd probably need to use some 1" x 1/2" on the bottom few inches to keep babies in the cage, right ? Babysaver stuff, right ?

I'm editing to add - I just saw a cage style that I would LOVE to be able to recreate (though I've also put an email out to the owner of sunnymeadowscages in Barrie) - link to it here :

https://www.kwcages.com/cages/stacking/ ... -x-18.html

SableSteel":sbk36aj8 said:
You can use it as long as the 2-inch side is vertical

That's easy enough to do. <br /><br /> -- Fri Nov 04, 2016 10:25 am -- <br /><br /> Would the 16-gauge wire be okay for the sides / top of the cage ?

I can find THAT in 1" x 1"

HOWsMom":1ojxtztn said:
Would the 16-gauge wire be okay for the sides / top of the cage ?

I can find THAT in 1" x 1"

I used 16 gauge 1" x 1" from Rona for my cages and never ceased to regret it. It was flimsy and the cages tended to get bent out of shape.

2" x 1" might be a problem if you have rats, weasels, or raccoons around the rabbitry, but otherwise the gauge of the wire would outweigh the size in my books.

MaggieJ":31k21afz said:
2" x 1" might be a problem if you have rats, weasels, or raccoons around the rabbitry, but otherwise the gauge of the wire would outweigh the size in my books.

The cages would be indoors, so aside from our dog and cat there would be little concerns romantic other animals.

I have some economical cages I use and sale. I use 16ga 1''x1'' and an unknown ga of 1''x1/2'' for flooring found at Lowes. Flimsy? Yes! Well they don't take being sat on very well. :p :oops: But if you are just getting in and don't know if you're going to continue in 6months they work great and are not a huge hit to the wallet if the newbie decides to get out. For 2'x2'x2' cages this wire is sturdy enough to get the job done. Mine have 12ga 1''x2'' walls, and top, but the same unknown ga of 1''x1/2'' for flooring. (It measures out to be 14 ga and is the same quality that you get in the store cages https://www.orschelnfarmhome.com/view/p ... /si5186941). All breeding cages have supports. But any cage that is over 3' long are going to need those. I have sold more pricey cages to people that have been doing rabbits for years and want cages that will last. I went through kw cages for those items. Sold 6 of these kw cages to a newbie that wanted the best. I advised against the higher price cages but they demanded that they knew what they wanted. Three months later they wanted me to buy them back because they decided rabbits were too much work. I had to explain that I'm not Wal-Mart. :oops: :lol:

Back