Introducing buns to grass.

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Over the weekend I decided to buy a harness for my rabbits so I could let them hop around the yard, and get some fresh air. Which so far they LOVE it. As soon as they see the harness in my hands they all start bouncing around their cages hoping it's their turn, lol. When I go to put the harness on them they basically dive right inside it, wait for me to clip on the leash, and they start hopping to the grass.

I had never given my rabbits grass before, because I was super paranoid that they would get sick, or something, but after giving it some thought I figured it would be good for them, and add more to their diet which could help with feed costs. So what I do to slowly introduce them to grass is when I am walking them I take them to the yard, and they hop around, and munch on some grass for about 5-10 minutes each walk, and when I put them back in their cage I put a little roll oats in their feeders just to help incase of any upset bellies. So far everyone is doing just fine. There has been no death, or change in their poop at all so I am guessing that they are taking to it well.

Does it sound like I am doing everything right?

My FG buck, Thunder I would say loves the walks the most. He does a hoppy dance whenever I take him out, lol.

13094334_956319251151329_6411532897334293257_n.jpg

If everything is looking OK on the south end I would guess they are handling it OK. I start with small amounts and work them up over the course of a couple of weeks. I am giving them enough that I use a bucket now - just load it up and pass it out. It seems to be helping quite a bit with feed - before they would scarf it down as soon as I put it in, but now there is a little leftover each day - they choose the fresh greens over the pellets... I do a mix of grass, clover, some winter peas (that didn't grow this winter :roll: ), dandelion and plantain. They'll get their first taste of radish today!

Latest posts

Back