Intestinal parasites...

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alforddm

Rabbit Talk Supporter
Reaction score
I've been feeding my rabbits quite a bit of forage to reduce feed costs. I've washed all the forage before I fed it but as some of it was low growing cut leaf primrose, I'm assuming that is where they got infected. I discovered it when I processed some growouts yesterday and found the little yucks in their intestines. I'm pretty sure these are pinworms but I do know we have the type of roundworms and tapeworms that dogs get as I have to treat the dogs periodically.

The last of my does is due on June 11th. Then I will take a break for the summer. The most convenient course of action would be to wait until all the grow outs are out of the way, then treat all the breeders and not have to worry about a withdrawl time, but that will be about 15 weeks.

Should I go ahead and treat now or is it ok to wait?

I don't have any pumpkins seeds right now, but if there is anything I can gather wild that may help with the worm load?

If I remember correctly you should be able to feed them garlic and onion tops and possible chives to help with the worms. I really hope someone with more experience chimes in here.

Garlic, onion, chives and apple cider vinegar are all natural dewormers. I use them more as a preventative. Ivermectin is a very safe and very effective dewormer for rabbits.
https://www.amazon.com/Generic-Iver...t you for years and also clears up ear mites.

Since no one has jumped in and said I need to treat immediately, I'm going to take a wait and see approach. If anyone looks poor, I will treat them but I'm mostly wait and just treat the breeders this fall.

Apparently garlic is anthelmentic https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18673129 I may try feeding some and seeing how it works. To bad I can't look at their guts before and after just to see if it helps. :roll:

Black walnut hulls are also said to be effective. I found what I think is a black walnut tree the other day. I will have to gather some this fall. <br /><br /> -- Thu May 18, 2017 4:52 pm -- <br /><br /> I butchered another pen today and even though they were fed the exact same thing, I didn't see a single parasite and I checked every single one. Now I'm wondering if the first litter didn't have poor immune systems. I had already culled their dam for bad hocks. I will pay really close attention to the next litters from that doe line and we'll see.

Coincidentally, the ones with the parasites were pedigreed rex while the pen I did today were rex coated mutts from two different mutt lines.

Back