Intestinal Coccidia

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ladysown

Staff member
Reaction score
hmm.. okay..

Apparently one of the bunnies I sold recently (about 10 days ago, who was fed by the owner grasses from her lawn where wild buns roam so not sure if it came from the grasses fed OR if it came from my herd) came down with coccidia. She was just being friendly in passing that information along as the vet wasn't sure if it came from the grasses or was part of bunny before coming...

I don't see it in the liver at all so assuming it's intestinal?

So treatment that I can get here in SW Ontario?

Will green onions, chives etc kill it?
Do I need to medicate with vet prescribed? Or something I can find at the feed mill?

I'll be doing a cull at the end of next week so won't treat those being culled, but would rather jump on it in case it's in my herd (I have a doe with two smaller than average kits and three that are in great shape). But I don't see signs of anything...but then I thought that kit was fine before I let it go to a new home.

Sorry about your luck Ladysown. I also have been fighting coccidia here thanks to my business partner not practicing good husbandry and a mistake on my part :evil: .

According to my vet, my herd came down with intestinal coccidia from the chickens that were allowed on top of her cages which is different from liver coccicia (more common in rabbits).

IMHO, it sounds like the intestinal coccidia as that is the one that kills so quickly and soon after weaning.

Either way, the feed store should have Corrid (9% Cattle) which can be given as a direct dose (the vet commented that it is very difficult to overdose the corrid) by mouth. To confirm that it came from your place, you can take a fecal from a littermate to the vet and have a fecal float done to see if your herd has it (recommended).

Since it is an over-the-counter remedy, I can say that I dosed my growouts with .3mil by mouth each day over 5 days, burned the cages to kill the oocysts (eggs), laid off treatment for 5 days, then treated another 5 days and burned the cages again. There is no withdrawal for meat after treatment with Corrid according to my vet ... check with your own anyway.

Sadly, after this episode, I also found out that it is one of the "common" parasites in this area and that he recommends I treat for it 2-3X per year :cry: Evidently it is endemic in the local cottontail population and is carried in by the horse-quality grass hay I provide. I even found one of those liver fluke parasites in one I butchered today :cry:

Good luck!

So rabbits can get this disease if they are in a pen with chickens? Mine are in with some young ones but I think only one gets on top of their cages and I make sure to clean the tops of by rinsing water over them at least once a week.

Could it make them very sick? I don't know where else to put them. The chickens are very rarely on the side they are on... They typically spend all their time on the other side which i a good 10 ft. away. It's behind a shed..

Back