Interesting buck behavior

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bantambunnies

Reaction score
I know bucks will fight if kept together.
Well, they're supposed to, anyway.

I was curious to see how two of my bucks acted when I let them meet. Of course, I supervised them closely and was there in case fighting should break out. One of these bucks is Free Ranging Bunny.
I expected fur to begin flying, but instead.... it seemed that both of them thought the other was a doe. :oops:
Now, I've seen both bucks and does fighting with each other before, and this isn't at all like that. They just kind of run in a circle until one of them gets on top. They take turns. It's weird.
They didn't seem to be hurting each other at all, but the "meeting" didn't seem to be going anywhere. So I separated them.

All I can think is that maybe they're asking for more does. :shrug:

The other interesting thing that happens between these two is that whenever I have Free Ranging Bunny loose and this other buck, Percy, in the pen, FRB likes to stick his head through the chain-link. Percy then proceeds to yank FRB's fur out while FRB sits there with his eyes shut. Eventually one of them will get tired of it and go lie down somewhere else, but they usually end up doing the same thing again.

The thing about FRB is that he LOVES to be scratched on his head and ears. He will just lie on the ground all day if you scratch his head. And although he's kind of ugly, he knows how to look so cute that you just have to scratch him. :) So we were thinking that maybe, when Percy is yanking his fur out, FRB thinks he's being scratched...?

Has anyone else noticed their bucks behaving strangely like this? I had always been under the impression that bucks would murder each other if they were left together, but these guys are just pathetic.
FRB was the first buck I'd ever seen fight. That was when I left him in a cage with his brother a day or two too late. But his personality is very different now. :)

First time I tried to breed, we had two bucks by accident (breeder made a mix-up, I didn't think to check because I was too inexperienced to know what to look for). They took turns chasing and mounting each other just like that.

They're probably trying to work out dominance. Lucky for you neither is being overly aggresive. It could well come to that though and if it does it will happen suddenly.

Latest posts

Back