Register

Info about Pan American Vet Labs' Vaccine for Pasteurella

Diagnosing and treating rabbit ailments. *Caution! These threads may contain graphic content.*
3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
Female
BunnyBucks: 170.00

Re: Info about Pan American Vet Labs' Vaccine for Pasteurel

Post Number:#46  Unread postby Madpiratebippy » Sun Apr 27, 2014 2:28 am

dayna wrote:
Madpiratebippy wrote:I'm not a doctor, nor do I play on on TV,

HA! You sound like me. I say that too.

I did choose to vaccinate all my rabbits. Before vaccinating we had snotty noses and some deaths. Since vaccinating (even vaccinating sick animals) all animals vaccinated recovered, no more snot illness.

So anyone can take that for what it's worth.

:lol: Glad I'm not the only one who says that. I'm also glad that your snotty bunnies recovered, that's good anecdotal evidence that it'll help with immune system response issues even after initial infection.

Site Supporter
4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 31,636.00

Post Number:#47  Unread postby Dood » Sun Apr 27, 2014 3:24 pm

IN MY NOT VERY HUMBLE OPINION, YOU ARE BEING INSANE IF YOU DO NOT VACCINATE AND YOU HAVE ANY OF THIS GOING ON IN YOUR HOUSE:

....The risks of this vaccine compared to the risks of Pasturella are just way, way, way in favor of the vaccine.
I think you need to read up a bit more of Pasturella multocida
Transmission

Dog and cat bites, scratches or licks are the most common cause of human infections with P. multocida. Pre-existing open wounds or scratches may also become infected with the organism. Infections have been associated with a range of other animals including rabbits and cows, however often the patient has had no animal contact. Animals do not have to be ill to pass the bacterium to humans, as they can carry the organism without showing symptoms.
Source - http://www.hpa.org.uk/Topics/Infectious ... formation/

Unless your going to vaccinate ALL your animals and live in a bubble then its pretty pointless to vaccinate your rabbits to prevent the disease in humans.

The following user would like to thank Dood for this post
OneAcreFarm

Female

Post Number:#48  Unread postby Madpiratebippy » Wed Apr 30, 2014 12:48 am

Dood wrote:
Unless your going to vaccinate ALL your animals and live in a bubble then its pretty pointless to vaccinate your rabbits to prevent the disease in humans.

My other animals are vaccinated, but a point that I might not have made as clear as it should have been- I've got a compromised immune system. Small, common infections like pasteurella can send me to the hospital. The whole family caught the sniffles. No one else was sick for more than 2-3 days. I was flattened for over 2 months, multiple rounds of antibiotics, which lead to other horrible things happening. The complications from that included a serious kidney infection, which was the most painful thing I've ever gone through in my life. People at the hospital thought I was in labor the way I was screaming when they had to move me (my husband got worried because I stopped telling jokes. I've had completely dislocated joints and a concussion and I never stopped cracking wise, so when I stop joking the pain is BAD). No one else in the house missed a day of school or work. :?

Does this sway my risk assesment? Oh, absolutely, which is why I try to make sure people know that's where I am coming from. I'm hyper sensitive to risks, but wouldn't you be, in my shoes? If I am going to keep animals I need to know what sort of zootonic diseases I'm exposing myself, and how to mitigate the risks as much as possible. I don't want to live in a bubble, but I can't run around like I'm not immunocomprimised and expect everything to be OK, either.

Site Supporter
4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 31,636.00

Post Number:#49  Unread postby Dood » Wed Apr 30, 2014 6:29 am

There is no pasturella vaccine for dogs and cats - that I know if :shock:

Your statement was
IN MY NOT VERY HUMBLE OPINION, YOU ARE BEING INSANE IF YOU DO NOT VACCINATE AND YOU HAVE ANY OF THIS GOING ON IN YOUR HOUSE:
Perhaps you should amend it to ...IN MY NOT VERY HUMBLE OPINION, YOU ARE BEING INSANE IF YOU DO NOT VACCINATE AND YOU HAVE ANY OF THIS GOING ON IN YOUR HOUSE ARE IMMUNO COMPROMISED

The following user would like to thank Dood for this post
OneAcreFarm, Zass

Site Supporter
United States of America Female
BunnyBucks: 10,358.00

Post Number:#50  Unread postby dayna » Wed Apr 30, 2014 11:45 am

I must admit, that my daughter is immuno compromised and that did/does factor into what we vaccinate or try to vaccinate for animal/human wise around here and how we clean/sanitize. When she was 11 she got salmonella. Most kids would have had diarrhea for a day or two. She got medflighted from Alaska to Washington in a small jet with 3 flight nurses keeping her stable and then she was in quarentine/CCU for a week at Childrens in Seattle.

So every thing I do food, livestock, cleaning, vaccinating, etc I keep her in my mind. Which I figure is what Madpiratebippy does too.

Female

Post Number:#51  Unread postby Madpiratebippy » Wed Apr 30, 2014 2:27 pm

dayna wrote:I must admit, that my daughter is immuno compromised and that did/does factor into what we vaccinate or try to vaccinate for animal/human wise around here and how we clean/sanitize. When she was 11 she got salmonella. Most kids would have had diarrhea for a day or two. She got medflighted from Alaska to Washington in a small jet with 3 flight nurses keeping her stable and then she was in quarentine/CCU for a week at Childrens in Seattle.

So every thing I do food, livestock, cleaning, vaccinating, etc I keep her in my mind. Which I figure is what Madpiratebippy does too.

That's horrible, your poor kiddo! I don't know if you've got them in your area/tried them, but the Danactive immune health yogurt drink and the Yakult yogurt stuff (for me they're in the dairy isle) have really, really helped with not getting sick as often. I have to explain to my kid that she can't just drink 2-3 at a time because she likes them, an 8 pack of the yogurts is almost as much as a gallon of milk, but I've been able to avoid getting as sick/bounce back a little faster when I take them regularly.

Dood wrote:Your statement was
Perhaps you should amend it to ...IN MY NOT VERY HUMBLE OPINION, YOU ARE BEING INSANE IF YOU DO NOT VACCINATE AND YOU HAVE ANY OF THIS GOING ON IN YOUR HOUSE ARE IMMUNO COMPROMISED

Um, immune system issues are the first and second bullet point. Not sure what else I could have done to make that more clear? :?: I'm confused about the link you posted from Public Health England, with pasturella death statistics- I'm not that concerned with the possibility of dying from Pasturella, just getting really sick at the same time I am loosing 50% of my rabbits. That'd be hard enough to deal with, with full energy, much less while I'm in pain, miserable, and tired.

From your link:
Complications include abscesses, cellulitis and joint infections. The organism can also infect the respiratory tract and cause sinusitis and ear infections, and more severe symptoms including pneumonia or lung abscesses in those with underlying pulmonary disease, however this is rare. Other uncommon presentations of P. multocida infection include septicaemia (blood poisoning), eye infections, meningitis and gastrointestinal problems. Very rarely, the infection is fatal: 5 patients with severe infection have died since 1993, the last occurring in 2006

That does not sound fun. The death statistics are low mostly because of how well it responds to penicillin (hence my point about being at higher risk if you can't take penicillin), but personally I'm more concerned with illness anyway. Joint infections really hurt, abscesses are horrible to recover from (I don't even want to THINK of what it would take to keep an abscess clean on a toddler), ear infections hurt, sinusitus sucks and every time I get it, I get a bonus ear infection anyway. Cellulitis can be horrible. Lung infections are nasty and take forever to get better from, and feeling like you're drowning for a month strait every time you try to get some rest will give you nightmares about suffocating for the rest of your life. I've never had septiceamia, but blood poisoning also sounds like an un-fun way to spend a week or four.

The pasturella vaccine has been used in food animals since the late 70's-early 80s and there has not been one case of any reactions in the people who've eaten the animals who were injected. So if the only thing you're worried about is your own death, statistically, the vaccine makes sense. If you don't want your animals to die and to have to go through any of the other crud, it's a slam dunk.

I'm more worried about getting sick myself and loosing my animals than dying, but the statistics are all the same. I'm not sure what else you'd like me to know about pasturella infections that would change my risk assessments? Even if I didn't have immune issues, my husband is allergic to the antibiotics that work (he's healthy as a horse), we would still vaccinate. Even if he wasn't allergic to antibiotics, I don't want my rabbits to die from something preventable, so vaccine is a go.

6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 31,400.00

Post Number:#52  Unread postby OneAcreFarm » Thu May 01, 2014 7:55 pm

Madpiratebippy wrote:
The pasturella vaccine has been used in food animals since the late 70's-early 80s and there has not been one case of any reactions in the people who've eaten the animals who were injected. So if the only thing you're worried about is your own death, statistically, the vaccine makes sense. If you don't want your animals to die and to have to go through any of the other crud, it's a slam dunk.

I'm more worried about getting sick myself and loosing my animals than dying, but the statistics are all the same. I'm not sure what else you'd like me to know about pasturella infections that would change my risk assessments? Even if I didn't have immune issues, my husband is allergic to the antibiotics that work (he's healthy as a horse), we would still vaccinate. Even if he wasn't allergic to antibiotics, I don't want my rabbits to die from something preventable, so vaccine is a go.

I think you are misinformed....this rabbit vaccine is NOT the same vaccine that has been used in Swine, Cattle and other animals. This particular vaccine, BunnyVac, was only created in the last couple of years. Their are several different strains of P. Multocida and the one that commonly affects rabbits doesn't respond that well to penicillin. The go to drug for most vets is Baytril, but even THAT will only reduce the number of bacteria in the rabbits blood stream. After the antibiotics wear off, symptoms reoccur. P. Multocida colonizes the nasal passages and sinus cavities, which have very little blood flow to bring the vaccine to that area.

This vaccine has only been tested by the person that created it, on his own rabbits, and the lab that created it. It is still very new and in my mind, until they get some objective, third party testing done, it is not proven enough for me to risk using it. I prefer to deal with this by strict sanitation, quarantine and cull procedures.

http://www.oneacrefarmrabbits.com
~A micro-attempt at self-sufficiency~

The following user would like to thank OneAcreFarm for this post
Miss M, Zass

Site Supporter
United States of America Male
BunnyBucks: 7,980.00

Post Number:#53  Unread postby michaels4gardens » Thu May 01, 2014 8:37 pm

some success has been achieved with nebulization treatments with gentamicin, along with flushing the duct that runs from the eye to the nasal cavity [to kill the bacteria colonized in there], when combined with gentamicin injections. -IMHO This treatment is only good for people who have pets that are not going to be around other rabbits to be re-infected or to infect other rabbits.
The theory in favor of immunization is sound and has been proven . The trial period for this vaccine is still rather short to suit me. But I am interested and hopeful it will be effective, with acceptable side effects.
Seed Garlic, http://www.Mountainvalleygarlic.com , https://www.facebook.com/Mountain-Valle ... 254347988/,
hard neck garlic varieties for fall planting.
meat-mutt rabbits, a few laying hens, and too many ducks..
https://vimeo.com/176370337?ref

7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 56,200.00

Post Number:#54  Unread postby Miss M » Thu May 01, 2014 11:54 pm

I can understand going with the vaccine if you or someone in the family is immuno-compromised; however, it's still basically experimental.

If you've downloaded and read the documentation at the beginning of the thread, you see that it's hardly been tested at all, like OneAcreFarm said.
Sithrah Farm - http://sithrahfarm.com/

We are right to take alarm at the first experiment upon our liberties.
- James Madison

Site Supporter
BunnyBucks: 10,358.00

Post Number:#55  Unread postby dayna » Fri May 02, 2014 1:20 am

I totally agree more testing needs to be done. I was actually surprised it was approved with so little testing. But with my small rabbitry it was worth it. If I had a lot more money invested it would not be worth it, and I would have stronger bio hazard type methods in place instead.

Site Supporter
BunnyBucks: 7,980.00

Post Number:#56  Unread postby michaels4gardens » Fri May 02, 2014 7:52 am

dayna wrote:I totally agree more testing needs to be done. I was actually surprised it was approved with so little testing. But with my small rabbitry it was worth it. If I had a lot more money invested it would not be worth it, and I would have stronger bio hazard type methods in place instead.

Dayna, please tell us about your use of this, symptoms reduction or cessation,side effects, as well as breeding info, litter size comparison and grow out info, -- if / when you have some.
Seed Garlic, http://www.Mountainvalleygarlic.com , https://www.facebook.com/Mountain-Valle ... 254347988/,
hard neck garlic varieties for fall planting.
meat-mutt rabbits, a few laying hens, and too many ducks..
https://vimeo.com/176370337?ref

1 year of membership
BunnyBucks: 232.00

Post Number:#57  Unread postby CaffeinatedBunnies » Tue Jan 12, 2016 1:24 pm

Anyone have new information to share regarding the vaccine? Or experience with using it in their herd?

Site Supporter
United States of America
BunnyBucks: 31,003.00

Post Number:#58  Unread postby Zass » Tue Jan 12, 2016 2:19 pm

It looks like this thread is missing some relevant bits of information and a few links. :)
First and foremost, from pan american vet labs page:
Clinical trials have shown BunnyVac to be effective in preventing death and limiting disease due to Pasteurella in rabbits

http://pavlab.com/pavlab/bunnyvac/faqs-bunnyvac/

There is no absolutely no assurance that vaccinated rabbits cannot still be asymptomatic carriers.

Rabbits would need vaccinated (at least) yearly, and that it contains the mercury based preservative thimerosol.
This page had a good writeup on it, including more comments from Bob Glass at the bottom.

http://www.raising-rabbits.com/bunnyvac.html

The following user would like to thank Zass for this post
CaffeinatedBunnies, michaels4gardens, Miss M, skysthelimit

2 years of membership2 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 6,832.00

Post Number:#59  Unread postby ButtonsPalace » Wed Jul 13, 2016 1:03 pm

I was reading what Mr.Bob had on his BunnyVac site and I'm very interested. I don't want to lose any rabbits but I think I'd rather not lose my whole herd to this if it's preventable. Now I have a question. Is there any way you could show us the reviews. The good and the bad. I want to read what people have personally said. Also anyone on here who has tried it please tell us your experience!
@Happydalerabbits on Facebook :)

7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership
Female
BunnyBucks: 965.00

Post Number:#60  Unread postby AprilW » Wed Jul 13, 2016 1:07 pm

Buttons - I vaccinated the Harlequins I used to have. I did not experience any of the possible side effects and none of my rabbits showed symptoms. There is a Facebook page for the vaccine that has plenty of reviews and Q&A. https://www.facebook.com/bunnyvac/
OlivYew Rabbitry: Breeding and showing purebred American Chinchilla rabbits

The following user would like to thank AprilW for this post
ButtonsPalace

PreviousNext