Inexpensive scale?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trinityoaks

Reaction score
What do you all use to weigh your bunnies? I'm looking for something inexpensive, but durable, easy to use and clean, and inexpensive. Hopefully those aren't mutually exclusive.

We found a pediatric scale at a thrift store for $40. A bit more than I wanted to pay, but I found later that they easily could have asked more for it. It is very sensitive, measuring within .05 ounce of my husband's $400 super-sensitive refrigerant scale (which actually belonged to the property we just moved away from). I wonder how many little babies this thing weighed before we got it.

We had come upon another old scale at a different thrift store for $40. It wasn't nearly as good as this. Glad we didn't go for it!

I just bought a new one today- on sale for $19.99 at Harbor Freight. It only weighs up to 7# so it may not be big enough for you. My rabbits are supposed to only get up to 5#. It is digital & it weighs in #, oz & kg. Has a plug but can be run on AA batteries too.

For kits, you could pick up one of the kitchen scales at a thrift store..they usually weight up to a pound of object. Check craigslist or craiglook.com for scales. Quite often they'll be up for sale (specially the pediatric ones) at low prices because no one knows what to do with them. You may find scientific scales..I found 1 for $20 because the man didn't know how to work it. (it's a $500 scale)

pfaubush":24u0ypjk said:
I use the one below. I have a t-post with a hole drilled in the top and a turn buckle thing coming out of it to hang the scale on. I built a very small cage to put the rabbits in and hang it from that.

http://www.amazon.com/Newline-Digital-H ... 207&sr=8-7
Oh that's VERY nice! Would be useful for chickens as well as the rabbits. And whole nests of kits to weight overall progress. You just need to make a basket!

I just love my Ultraship scale. I got it off Amazon.com. It goes up to 55lbs and has a detachable face in case I want to weigh anything wide enough to block my view of the screen. It was around $35-$40.

I am currently using a postal scale from Office Depot. It weighs up to 11 lbs and cost $15. It is quite accurate, but I do have to use a box for any larger rabbits.

I have a fish scale. I plop the rabbits into a pre weighed canvas bag and weigh them then subtract the weight of the bag. It cost me $10.00 goes up to 50lbs and comes with a built in tape measurer to measure ears :)

Pulling this thread out to revisit:

MaggieJ":2oyqazun said:
A canvas bag works well to hang on a scale like that one.

Would one of those reusable shopping bags work (dedicated for the purpose, of course)?

Quite a few years ago I found a Baby Scale in a flea market,
I am guessing that it cost me between three and ten dollars.
I removed the part that cradled a Baby and replaced it with a flat piece of metal.
I drilled a hole in each corner and attached a small cage similar to a nestbox
made of floor-wire. That is what I weigh my rabbits in as it is easily set on
a table outside or in. I also have a few hanging Scales where A small cage
hangs down and the rabbit are placed in there for weighing.
I can also hang a measuring scoop to weigh feed.
I have acquired these things through the years, but they still
work as good as they did when they were new!
Ottersatin. :eek:ldtimer:

I do like it i have different places in the barn i can hang it or if i wanted to i could just hang onto it and weigh a litter or rabbit. Very easy to use no problem yet. It does have the option to save weights but i don't use that option and i have not tried.

What we use for our older kits it a " big game scale" like for weighing deer. We got at the sporting goods store for like 10.00. it works well for us. We made a small cage to put the kits in and hang it from the scale.

Back