Inducing labor?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
rasberry leaves are really good for milk production once there are babies though :)

if it's natural labour my sense is it will happen when it does 99% of the time - so inducing labour shouldn't be needed ...

Raspberry leaves are reputed to tone the uterus in does and make bucks more virile.

Fresh or dried lavender is used to help a doe go into labour. I'm very careful about using it. It has been my observation that if the does need it, they'll eat it, if they don't need it, they'll ignore it. Sometimes after kindling I will feed it just to make sure that everything has been expelled. If the doe had a long kindle or if she was very late.

Marian

I've never seen any indication that raspberry leaves cause abortion. They are on my rabbits' menu regularly from spring to fall. I believe it was Willowynd on HT who voiced concerns about the safety of raspberry leaves for pregnant does.

Lavender is the herb of choice for inducing labour and Marian is quite right that it should be used with caution. It is a very powerful herb. In most cases it is best to let nature take its course.

If a doe is in labour but it is stalled, sometimes a calcium boost will help. Some people have reported that 1/2 to 1 tablet of TUMS Calcium antacid given to the doe will help. Others feed yogourt for this purpose. Again, concerns were expressed about the safety of TUMS for rabbits. In all such cases, one must weigh the risks and take the responsibility for whatever remedies are applied. Good for you, Ceres Hill, to look into this now, before it is needed.

Seems timly as I have a doe that hit 28 days on monday--she built her nest and is absolutely swollen. None of the others have looked this large and she is happy and eating... so, if she doesn't kindle by tomm... ?

Would you leave her alone or try to provide a supplement ie yogurt...?
thx

28 days is a mean (in numbers). It's not a "must have kits on day 28" Some does will kindle in 27 days. Some, particularly with large litters, will go a couple of days over. The occasional doe will go 34 days. You can probably cull does that go longer than the 28, if it's a problem for a breeding schedule.

Give her a chance. Don't interfere with the rabbit's natural cycle unless there's a concrete reason to do so.

uh...cull does that don't kindle on day 28? HUH??

but MOST rabbits have a 31 day kindle, give or take a few. That's why nest box on day 28 and don't remove until day 35.

Lady, I was just meaning that if he wants rabbits that kindle on day 28 so that a schedule can be kept, one could probably do that.

28 days is what is thrown around by a lot of breeders as the timing. It's easy to figure (4 weeks..she's bred on thursday, she'll kindle on thursday), and it's gotten into a lot of books as THE day they'll kindle. Some breeds do kindle sooner than others.

I just can't wrap my head around that idea. Culling a doe for not kindling when you expect her to. She's following her own body schedule.

But then again there are other things that people do that I can't wrap my head around either...like culling in the nest box. Makes no sense at all to me. But hey...People do what works best for them. (look of chagrin)

I have to say, I've never had a doe kindle as early as 28 days. You do hear about it from time to time, but I think 30 - 31 days is the more the norm for meat breeds and some will go longer than that. Just let her be, CH, unless she seems to be having problems. She will kindle when she is ready.

She had her last kindling on day 30---I realize she isn't late... I am just amazed how large she has become... worried about stuck kits. I certainly wouldn't cull a doe that successfully breeds, kindles and rears young; one that has poor habits, production or lack of breeding desire is another topic.

Sounds like she has a few extra buns in her oven! Actually, in many cases, a large litter is less problematic than a small one. It is the size of the individual kits, not the number, that cause the problem and in large litters the kits tend to be a bit smaller. She'll probably kindle soon.

Maggiej,

Her sister had two last week (granted in my stupidity I re bred her at three weeks: wanted to see if she would take--she was far too eager..) Anyhow, that won't be repeated. They are the two largest kits I have ever seen--and she feeds them more than any kit I have witnessed--their tummies are so full and stretched its amazing. Guess, I will have to faster growers...

T2 her sister may have similarly large kits just guessing due to her size--she was rebred at 42 days, so I am not concerned about condition---she was in prime shape at breeding and certainly is now.

cereshill":1naxod69 said:
Maggiej,

Her sister had two last week (granted in my stupidity I re bred her at three weeks: wanted to see if she would take--she was far too eager..) Anyhow, that won't be repeated. They are the two largest kits I have ever seen--and she feeds them more than any kit I have witnessed--their tummies are so full and stretched its amazing. Guess, I will have to faster growers...

T2 her sister may have similarly large kits just guessing due to her size--she was rebred at 42 days, so I am not concerned about condition---she was in prime shape at breeding and certainly is now.

IMHO these are the litters you have to watch most. The babies can actually die from overfeeding. I also find that with small litters of 1 or 2 especially with Holland Lops, I have more "sticky butt" problems. With these small litters I often like to control the feeding a little more and separate the moms from the babies.

should you even them out?
depends on the rabbits and their size.
I like evening litters out if I can. for meat buns, they should manage nicely having 6+ kits, smaller buns I aim for about 5.

If i had a litter one with 5 and one with 2, I'd move two kits over.
if I had one with 8 and one with 6, i'd leave them as is.

The two are already furring out... Frankly they seem very happy and on an amazing growth curve. With the two additions receive enough milk?

Latest posts

Back