Important question about Lavender?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pixie22

Reaction score
So I wasn't really sure what thread to put this post on, but I was wondering about lavender. My rabbits are near my chickens who bring over nasty flies. I've even been cleaning cages every other day, but i'm still having issues. I've researched that lavender is great to use to deter flies around hutches. My issue is that it would be around pregnant females... I heard it induces labor. Is that true? Is it still safe to plant lavender around their hutches?
Another fly question, someone had suggested to me that I try putting diatomaceous earth in the trays of cages to keep flies (or at least the eggs/maggots) out. Is this safe around the bunnies? :?

Lavender and most of the mint family including catnip and garden sage should not be eaten by pregnant or nursing does. Having it around the rabbitry is fine, just not where they can ingest it.

(These same plants are useful to help dry off a doe that has lost her litter if she shows signs of possibly developing mastitis.)

BTW, I didn't know that lavender is a fly-repellent, though I'm not surprised as it's a known moth repellent. I know catnip is excellent for repelling flies and mosquitoes, and I used to hang big bunches (it's a rampant but welcome weed on our land) of fresh catnip in the rabbitry, bruising it with my hands whenever I went inside. It repels flies and mosquitoes beautifully and is the only repellent I ever use on myself.

Diatomaceous earth (FOOD GRADE ONLY) is safe to use around rabbits, but don't use the stuff for swimming pools as it is toxic.

Latest posts

Back