I received an email... (Sneezing bunnies)

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Epic

Reaction score
The email said:
"Hello, my name is Tanya, and I'm wondering if you could help me.

I have a litter of rabbits and a couple seniors. Two of my junior does have been sneezing. No discharge, every now and then it'll be a tad bit wet around the nose, no colored discharge, it's not thick or anything. Just clear and barely there. The one does mother did go after her, and bit the side of her face, but it's healing fine and not bad, she has since than been moved to another cage. They are both eating, drinking, pooping and moving around normally. All of my other rabbits are fine. They don't sneeze a lot, just every now and than.

Anyways, is it the time of year or weather? What should I do? Should I be concerned?

Thanks,
(Name removed)"

I told her she should quarantine them and watch closely, but what should I say to her? :s It doesn't sound like snuffles to me.

They could be sneezing for other reasons:
Water up their nose or Hay dust.
Some rabbits sneeze due to a smell like
a cologne or detergent used by the owner.
I would place any that are sneezing under observation
for a few weeks to see what takes place.
However, if the Sire and Dam are sneezing
I might consider [after observation]
to CULL those that exhibit any symptoms of illness.
But that's just me!
Ottersatin. :eek:ldtimer:

i'd tell her to examine everything in their environment carefully.
= bleached use to clean, ventilation issues, hay, dust, bedding, anything that might cause and issue.

The rabbits are probably reacting to something in their environment and this time of the year is what brings it out.

I agree that the sneezing is likely a reaction to something in their environment. Since they are juniors, it could be they are developing allergies to something that has been there all along, but I think it more likely that the time of year has a lot to do with it. Trees produce a lot of pollen in spring, for instance. The person should also look for anything that is different, as Ottersatin suggested. That is always my first question when something happens... "What has changed?"

Don't forget to recommend to your correspondent that she take a look-in at this forum. She would probably enjoy it. :)

Three of my senior does have been having sneezing fits, of course, springtime is basically an on again off again sandstorm here... I think in my case it's definitely seasonal... no discharge at all out of any of them, but sometimes the sneezing its seem fairly severe.

Alright, I messaged her back again last night and asked her if they recently had anything new around them (bedding, perfumes, etc.)

Apparently she uses straw for bedding. Does straw tend to hold alot of dust ?<br /><br />__________ Mon Apr 25, 2011 11:20 am __________<br /><br />Oh, thanks for the reminder MaggieJ, I'll link her here :)

Are the paws matted at all? Even the slightest?

I had a doe that exhibited the exact same symptoms. Only saw very slight clear discharge on one occasion. But she did have the slightest matting on the paws. You could not see it, only feel it. She looked perfect otherwise.

Her kits blew white snot at 8 weeks...needless to say..I don't have her or the kits any more. If not for those kits, I would have assumed she only had allergies.

Latest posts

Back