I need to move this nest!

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tinybud

Reaction score
Hello, I'm new here :)
My dwarf doe had her litter a week ago. The rabbits have the run of a horse stable, and she has made her nest up in an old manger which is set about 3 feet up. I made her a little ramp to get up with straw bales, so she doesn't have to make a huge leap each time, but now the babies are getting more bouncy I am worried one might fall out. If they fall it is quite high, and they will slip down the side of the bales...
So, can I safely lift the entire nest down onto the ground, or will this be too upsetting / confusing to the mother? I am scared to move it, and scared to leave it! Help!

I'd go ahead and move it. I do all kinds of crazy things with my nests and mamas. :?
Remove kits, then move the nest material nearby, preferably into a nestbox so they can't get drug out, and put them back in it. Mama bun will probably be stumped that they're not where she left them, but she should find them easy enough.

Don't be scared. You can move it, you should move it.

Keep the litter in a confined space. Buy or build a nest box; move the fur/straw/hay/whatever into the nest box.

Thanks for your input :) I'll move it in the morning! It never occurred to me that she would want to have her babies all the way up there.

Back