Register

I'm trying to identify breeds but they all look the same..

Discussion of specific breeds, breed standards and selection criteria for purebreds.
1 year of membership
United States of America Female
BunnyBucks: 88.00

I'm trying to identify breeds but they all look the same..

Post Number:#1  Unread postby mygoldendoe » Mon Dec 26, 2016 8:51 pm

So i haven't had rabbits since childhood. But I bought 4 meat rabbits few months ago and was trying to research breeds to have a good idea of the breed type I bought at the local livestock sale stand. I plan to keep detailed records as my goal is also pelt driven. So I need a good guess for my records. But besides the obvious differences like size, angora long fur, high arch of the hare, and lop they all look the same. I can't seem to notice the subtle differences like face shape body shape... What are ways to identify them? How long did it take tall to learn?

Through Facebook and another site IV had everything suggested from rex, Flemish, beige on tan, lilac, NZ...When I looked these up I can see the beige on tan one..But all the other breeds i google all have to same coloring options but they look the same to me so how do they tell them apart?

__________ Mon Dec 26, 2016 7:51 pm __________

This is the 4th one that I can believe is a beige on tan either the other one..
Attachments
IMG_20161208_075658599_HDR.jpg
IMG_20161208_075658599_HDR.jpg (146.92 KiB) Viewed 343 times
IMG_20161208_075654427_HDR.jpg
IMG_20161208_075654427_HDR.jpg (164.79 KiB) Viewed 348 times
Screenshot_2016-12-26-19-25-23.png
Screenshot_2016-12-26-19-25-23.png (917.39 KiB) Viewed 348 times

Site Supporter
5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 31,952.00

Re: I'm trying to identify breeds but they all look the same

Post Number:#2  Unread postby Dood » Mon Dec 26, 2016 9:05 pm

You can't ;)

Unless a rabbit accurately matches a specific breeds SOP you really cannot tell what breed it is

Yours look like quite the mix (affectionately known as meat mutts) as nothing about really stands out

I think you've got a blue and a fawn but the other two are stumping me :hmm: maybe Opal, cream or blue tort otter :shock:

Their coats look unusually dense which lends itself to Rex and the blue, fawn and otter are all colours found in that breed

NZealands come in red and fawn but blue is a less common colour

The wonky ear carriage could mean some Lop breed in their history, possibly Mini or French and both breeds come in a huge variety of colours

3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
United States of America
BunnyBucks: 3,251.00

Post Number:#3  Unread postby SableSteel » Mon Dec 26, 2016 9:41 pm

What Dood said

Looks like a fawn, a lynx (the color from lynx can either be from a cream rabbit with dirty color - most likely, or a genetic lynx), a gold tipped blue steel, and a gold tipped lilac steel

Most rabbits, unless specifically advertised as a certain breed (and even sometimes then) are just mixed breeds. The only one that might fit any breed standards in the one on the right in the top picture, which might (depending on weight, type and fur) be like a lynx palomino (though that is a rare breed - even if your rabbit looks like a palomino, it probably isn't a purebred palomino or even a palomino mix)

The blue steel and lilac steel (steel because the tips of the fur are lighter) look to be a different cross than the other two, with thicker heads and blockier ears. With the coloration and fur, I'd guess probably descended from NZ, satin & something else, or they could be anything. The lighter two, probably has some NZ in them, but they could be anything

Another note: the color "beige on tan" is European term, that isn't used in the US. Here it is called blue fox or blue tort otter. The tan pattern gene is needed to make it, and of the large meat breeds, only satins commonly carry that. Doesn't look like blue fox to me, though - with the one on the left, the color is definitely fawn/orange. With the other, blue fox could be possibly, but usually blue foxes don't have a paler muzzle than face, and usually have a more creamy body, with less of a blue cast.

__________ Mon Dec 26, 2016 6:41 pm __________

Also, google is NOT a reliable source on rabbit images, especially with different breeds and colors. If you want to compare colors, look up rabbit color guides (Holland lop color guides are often good - rex, angora and satin ones have different color names) and make sure they are from the US. Europe uses different color, & some different breed names, than us

The resource I use is http://www.rabbitcolors.info/int/en/index.html
But it is missing some colors - it seems blue fox is one of them
Show Breeder & ARBA Registrar

1 year of membership

Post Number:#4  Unread postby mygoldendoe » Mon Dec 26, 2016 10:06 pm

Thanks. I don't care their mutts but since I was strongly pelt driven with meat ratio I hoped to guess heritage so I could going in specific directions in future. This weekend we are driving 2hrs into another state to get supposed pure NZ. They are proven already so I'm excited. (Solid black female solid white male)..Is there a way to tell age? When I first got mine they didn't understand the water feeder (ball drip kind) but I figured they may have been fed with bowl so that's what we had to use for few weeks.. The females dominant each other but last two weeks the male is spraying like crazy. Three times in one check up but since I check them two-three times a day it gets very aggravating. He hasn't mounted that I know of tho. Atleast I haven't seen him do it yet..

__________ Mon Dec 26, 2016 9:06 pm __________

Their coat is pretty dense. It's got a super soft fuzzy bottom coat with a almost slick top coat. If I poke them to the skin it's reaches middle of my index finger

3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
United States of America
BunnyBucks: 3,251.00

Post Number:#5  Unread postby SableSteel » Mon Dec 26, 2016 10:15 pm

If you are breeding for show, black NZ x white NZ can give you unrecognized colors.

You shouldn't really house these rabbits together if you are planning to breed them, they can get territorial. Most likely, they are already bred.
Show Breeder & ARBA Registrar

Site Supporter
4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership
United States of America
BunnyBucks: 31,003.00

Post Number:#6  Unread postby Zass » Mon Dec 26, 2016 10:34 pm

Gorgeous mutts!! They look like fine pelt rabbits to me. If bred together, they will give you plenty of color and variety.

1 year of membership

Post Number:#7  Unread postby mygoldendoe » Mon Dec 26, 2016 10:42 pm

No, sablesteel, when I said pelt driven I ment for tanning not showing. Sorry I didn't specify. The photo was when we first got them. They were housed together and we're hoping they were pregnant but they werent. I never see the male mount, only sprays constantly. Females are super sweet and lay/sit together all the time. They will be seperated once we can palpate a positive pregnancy n the females.

Thanks zass, I'm hoping so.

Site Supporter
2 years of membership2 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 10,884.00

Post Number:#8  Unread postby FourRingCircus » Tue Dec 27, 2016 9:47 am

I'm a bit jealous of the color options you have! ;) I have found that I like that variety in my herd, although it's easier for meat to have all the same color - less temptation to keep one just based on looks, or single out a favorite since they aren't as easily recognized when they are all white :roll: :lol: You'll definitely have some fun hides to play with!!
Formerly known as "heritage" :)

Homeschool mom of 4 little ones - 9, 8, 6, & 4!

Our Four Ring Farmstead journey will be on hold for a few years as we take on a new adventure in WV! Maybe a new focus on gardening in a cooler climate...

Site Supporter
4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership
United States of America Male
BunnyBucks: 7,980.00

Post Number:#9  Unread postby michaels4gardens » Wed Dec 28, 2016 7:29 am

since you are breeding for pelts, and you mentioned you were going to keep good records, - you will be able to develop a meat/ pelt rabbit breeding program to get almost any result you desire, - and with the color you already have-, and NZ to maintain meat conformation, - looks like your possibilities are amazing. -just repeat the breedings that work best - save breed stock from that...
Seed Garlic, http://www.Mountainvalleygarlic.com , https://www.facebook.com/Mountain-Valle ... 254347988/,
hard neck garlic varieties for fall planting.
meat-mutt rabbits, a few laying hens, and too many ducks..
https://vimeo.com/176370337?ref

1 year of membership
Canada Female
BunnyBucks: 3,623.00

Post Number:#10  Unread postby SarniaTricia » Wed Dec 28, 2016 10:58 am

I'm very excited for you!!
I have meat mutts and breed them specifically for meat and pelt colour!

Your buck might be ready for breeding, but it sounds like your does are not.
(they look around 12 weeks to me)

I got NZ to add some body to my meat mutts too!
Keep at it and have fun.

(keep us posted with photos!)
Breeding Magpie Harlequin Rabbits for Showing, Meat and Pelts...
Working towards a farm to raise animals with respect and care.
Amherstburg, Ontario, Canada

https://www.facebook.com/BABRabbits/
https://www.facebook.com/Growing-Urban- ... 749253819/
https://www.facebook.com/AmherstburgFarmersMarket/

1 year of membership

Post Number:#11  Unread postby mygoldendoe » Fri Dec 30, 2016 1:41 pm

Thanks everyone. I'll definitely keep posting in future.

Site Supporter
United States of America

Post Number:#12  Unread postby Zass » Fri Dec 30, 2016 3:30 pm

If you are new to breeding, I wouldn't wait for a successful palpation to separate them. Bucks sometimes manage to get does pregnant without good fall offs.
Even many experienced breeders are not 100% accurate when feeling around underneath a doe, and some can't do it at all, even after years of raising rabbits. :whistle:

Seems like a LOT of first litters are lost when a doe scatters kits around a cage full of other does, and the owner isn't even sure which one had them.
Yes, I have seen that exact scenario described more than a dozen times. It's very common.

Better safe than sorry, and make sure provide each doe with nesting material for at least 35 days after they have been separated from the buck.
I think it was Miss M that had a litter full of 12 week old doelings get bred? If I remember right, every single one of them carried successfully too. She was buried in kits for a while.. :lol:

1 year of membership

Post Number:#13  Unread postby mygoldendoe » Sun Jan 01, 2017 3:03 pm

They were seperate already. They were together when we bought them and we left them together for awhile to make sure they would be pregnant while we built their cages and their shed. It was only few weeks and we could tell they were. Just having to store n the garage bc the rains keeping us behind on the shed. Atleast we got the posts in yesterday before the rain.. here's the two new arrivals. They turn 2 next month and had been proven already. And came named already. I number letter mine tho. The cage the male came with is same size as ones we made for ours (30x30) and the females is larger..We put nesting box n at 25days on off chance they were before we got them. I'd rather have extra cleaning to do than miss calculate. Not first rodeo with rabbits, just first time with breeding for variety of colors
Attachments
IMG_2017-01-01_13-42-40.JPG
IMG_2017-01-01_13-42-40.JPG (262.47 KiB) Viewed 231 times

Site Supporter
United States of America

Post Number:#14  Unread postby Zass » Sun Jan 01, 2017 3:45 pm

The new zealands may disappoint you for colors, unless you get very lucky.
They will most likely throw steel, black, orange, chestnuts and rews. The rew may help express himi, shaded, or chinchilla if the mutts have any c locus recessives.
Sometimes, they have dilute, but I wouldn't count on it. You probably already have steel going on with those pastel mutts though. :)

1 year of membership

Post Number:#15  Unread postby mygoldendoe » Sun Jan 01, 2017 6:02 pm

Naw I just got the NZ to keep up as good meat rabbit size. That and I wanted some steel and possible chin markings. Bc I worried my other would throw only blues, grays and creams variations. this way i get great range and keep up my meat size

Next