I'm throwing in the towel on colonies

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Fire-Man":1teuj9l2 said:
WallTenter":1teuj9l2 said:
I just put some plywood on top of the top cage and some hay. Yes I have to clean it off maybe once a month but takes me literally about five seconds and that's just in the cages where the hens like to roost up there.

You stated that you Just put plywood on top of the Top Cages-------what do you do between the top and lower cages to keep the upper caged rabbits from peeing and pooping on the lower rabbits?

Sorry just saw this. No my cages have trays in each one (I prefer it that way for the ones that are in the barn - that way I can take the litter to the compost pile without having to shovel - I have a bad back). What I meant was I put plywood on top of the top cage to protect the rabbit in the top cage from bird bombs from above, if a bird decides to get up there.

My rabbits have viciously bit each other through the bars of their outdoor runs- first I thought it was a fluke and then it happened again and again and one had to go to the vet- can't imagine the carnage if I let them loose in the same pen. I'm grumpy because looks like I'm going to have to line the runs with finer chicken wire to keep them from ripping each others noses off.

Cleaning wise -
I have cages with pull out pans and litter boxes- and it takes me about 3 hours every 4 days to clean- I don't know why it takes me so long I only have 8 rabbits.

I currently have cages and hutches. I like features of both. I found with the wire cages that I could not do what most folks suggest -- hang them by chains. My Silver Foxes rock-n-roll'd constantly no matter how I try to adjust the chain angles or chain from top and bottom. I had to retrofit supports to hold the cages from the bottom. The hutches are top loading which I love but they are a wood/wire combo that will prove more challenging to keep disinfected. I do not use drop pans. Poop and pee go directly to the ground. I have to keep the area clean which does take a few hours a month but can be spaced a bit.

I have chickens that have access to the rabbit area. I've never (yet) had a chicken climb the cages/hutches, sit on the tops, or peck at the rabbits from underneath.

I had considered the colony option as some folks make it sound very appealing. But, as you have discovered, there are some major drawbacks to them. One of the issues I was concerned about was fireants getting into the colony. So, even if the rabbits got along and I could keep them in, and keep things clean, what to do about the fireants??? So, colony raising is not even an option for consideration for me.

I'll be the odd one out, I really like my colony. Only downside is it's hard to catch the does sometimes. I keep my bucks in cages so I can control the breedings. Never had an issue with fighting even when I put a Holland Lop doe in with my Silver Foxes.

I basically have a big stall with a cement floor, I use shaving and hay as bedding. It takes maybe 15 min. to shovel out once a month although I clean the pee spots more frequently.

I use both methods.
Bucks and breeding does and young bucks are in cages.
The rest are lose in a large dirt pen with tires and plywood for shade and hiding.
Yes, it is harder to catch but it is a lot easier to raise 10-15 there for 3 months.
Yes, they chase each other and that is why I gave them places to hide.
Rabbits do not like open spaces.

Andrei":1w2fnq1u said:
Rabbits do not like open spaces.

When the have a solitary run to themselves they love it. I've yet to find one out of the 50 or so we've had since we've started outdoor exercize, that doesn't flip about for 10 minutes or so during their daily exercises in the outdoor runs.

And as soon as they had their run they look for a place to hide.

Andrei":2cf2kvs2 said:
And as soon as they had their run they look for a place to hide.

Very true. Yet they still want that daily run. Which is why I said "flip around for 10 minutes or so". They like open spaces when it pleases them.

Some might compare cage raising to ...... veal.
We all like to have the possibility to stretch our legs.
Some young one in my cages race on a 3 ft space and make me feel bad.

I feel bad if I don't give my rabbits a day out of their cages in the outside runs to stretch there legs in the sunshine- when you see them run and do binkies its like pure joy. Still the majority of the time they are in cages because its just easier and safer.

Latest posts

Back