I'm so tired of torts...

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

All Ears Rabbitry

Reaction score
I breed American Fuzzy Lops. I have 20 adults, 7 of which are available for sale. Not counting the 7, I have 5 sable point (2 solid 3 broken), 1 black (broken), and the rest are tort (so 7 tort, 2 broken, 1 charlie, 4 solid). That doesn't seem so bad, right? Except out of all the current kits/popples/babies I have 15 of 18 are torts (broken and solid). The other 3 are blacks (1 solid 2 broken). My oldest litter (of 5 - all torts) is a month old, super promising - I am pretty sure I'll be keeping a solid tort buck and a broken tort doe from this litter (there is also a broken buck, broken doe, and solid doe) . My second litter (of 3) is all solid torts (2 does, 1 buck. They are only 3 weeks but are already showing loads of promise (born March 3rd). The next 2 litters were born on my 30th birthday, March 4th (1 litter has 2 solid tort bucks, a broken black buck, and a broken tort doe; the other litter has a tort buck, 2 broken tort bucks, a black doe, and a broken black doe). My youngest litter has 1 kit, the ugliest thing I have even seen in my life (a tort born March 8th). This kit was born on the wire and I thought it was dead, frozen stiff when I found him (think it's a him). I brought him back to life - not sure if I did him favors. He has the oddest coat, super wirey and long for his age. Not sure where the heck he came from. Definately will be pet quality - probably will stay as my pet, I am very attatched to this guy.

Anyway, I am SO sick of tort I have purchased a trio. One rabbit is a tort but was part of the trio and is the typiest. I really like her. The other doe is a fawn, the buck a broken orange. The does are both coming bred to color bucks as a favor so hopefully I get some fun colors.

It was pretty bad, I saw the blacks in the box and got kind of excited and black is not even really a color I want per say. They have to be super typey to stay in my barn if they are black (my broken black doe took BOB as a jr the end of January out of 42 - she's a typey little thing). I doubt the broken black buck will stay, maybe one of the black does. Looks like I will be hanging on to a lot of torts for now - lol.

Wow, that is a lot of tort! :) I do understand what you are going through, but not quite to that extent, lol. I have a pair of English Lops- one is black tort, one is blue tort. I believe the doe is expected to kindle next week and I am expecting (you guessed it) more torts. I have been trying to purchase additional stock for almost six months- so far the only bucks and does I have been able to find in my area are all torts, too. I finally had to just say that I am not at all interested in tort, which is good and bad- good because hopefully I can get some color in my gang as it expands (I love this breed), but bad because I probably said no to a few really nice animals that could have added good things to my program because of their color and has kept me stuck at a pair instead of a trio or two pairs or two bucks and two does.. you get the picture. Anyhow, I just wanted to say that you aren't lone with the torty breeds and we will get through it together, lol.

Hang in there!

Lauren

I do understand...I got sick and tired of tort and castor so removed them from my herd.... :) Now I only get random ones popping up. :)

Ah, well, I can't remove the torts. With fuzzies, that's generally where the type is. I have a fairly nice broken black doe, and some nice sable points, but perhaps the two nicest rabbits in my herd are torts. I will always have torts, and I don't mind then, would just like some variety.

Of course now that the kids have their own breeds (the nephews share Thriantas, my niece has a pair of Florida Whites and a pair of Netherlands), we eventually will get some variety. The middle of may we will be breeding the FW doe, April 20th the Netherland doe will be bred, and, if I can buy or borrow a Thrianta buck the boy's doe will also be bred - they want to show at fair, which is the end of September/early October.

Latest posts

Back