Register

I'm downright pissed.

A place to vent about what's bugging you. Please keep it civil.
Site Supporter
4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 15,027.00

Re: I'm downright pissed.

Post Number:#46  Unread postby alforddm » Sun Dec 10, 2017 2:19 pm

Ahh, I was wondering about those guys. I almost pm'd you a few times to ask but never did. That is wonderful that you're looking at a place with more room. Can't wait to see what you find.

I may have to drive your way and pick up a floppy eared doe. I would love to see that type of ear with a rex coat. I have one pedigreed rex buck that already throws weak eared kits. It would be fun to cross him with a floppy eared doe and see what turns up...

What do their coats feel like? It's easier to cross with rabbits that already have good thick coats as it doesn't take quite as long to get the density back.

Site Supporter
1 year of membership
BunnyBucks: 2,564.00

Post Number:#47  Unread postby 2CrazyFools » Sun Dec 10, 2017 4:16 pm

alforddm wrote:Ahh, I was wondering about those guys.

Yeah... you commented about a floppy eared kit with the astrex coat and at that time I had long since processed all my astrex out but didn't want to publicly say "Naw, I ate them because I'm a barbarian." :x

The kits from Bonnie Bunny are still in the air if they'll have lopped ears, but I am planning on breeding Hoss back to her and see if his growth rate can be mimicked. However at that point you've got a higher inbreeding coefficient since I think Hoss's parents were siblings, then you've got the line breeding back to momma... On the other hand, RabbitMath is starting to brew heavily. I know for sure I'm going to get some Florida Whites for their meat brick capabilities, but now I'm also thinking (due to Hoss and BonnieBunny being so wonderful) about getting into English Lops. Ah, but they don't have thick fur do they? Much thinner on the English Lops.

Hoss and his mom do have some nice thick and fluffy coats, part of what increases their appeal, they're like stuffed animals. Definitely notice a strong difference between the kits Bonnie throws and the kits my American mixes have. Especially paired with the Texas A&M Composite buck who were bred for thinner coats (heat tolerance and all that jazz) they've turned into some sleek little buns. While Bonnie's kits are just fuzz balls.

But anyway, back to the point, might be best to pair the pedigreed rex to another pedigreed animal for documentation's sake, and from here on out I'm going to be trying to only accumulate documented rabbits (like the English lops). Hoss and his momma are really just big question marks.
Rabbitry ~ ImageImageImage ~ Recipes

1 year of membership
Canada Female
BunnyBucks: 2,765.00

Post Number:#48  Unread postby KimitsuKouseki » Sun Dec 10, 2017 10:43 pm

shazza wrote:there's no telling when it'll get cool again, haha, forecast says it'll be warmer into next week so guess we'll just have to risk it :p and that's fine! i have tons of skins in the pickle right now that i'm trying to get taken care of too, i can try to remember to remind you next weekend ;D

You better show us some pics of the finished tans of those astrex buns! ;)

Previous