I'm back! Crazy happenings.....

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LittleFluffyBunnies

Reaction score
Sorry I was gone for so long! I am back and I hope to be posting more now.
I have had a crazy time recently.
First, my sister had an appendicitis and had to be rushed to hospital, so I had to help at the house A LOT while she was there for a week. A few days after she was discharged the wound went septic and she had to go back for another week.

The day she came home disaster struck my rabbits. My dog, a 7 month old Swiss Shepherd cross Malamute, pulled open the latched cage door of my herd sire and grabbed him. We saw him on the ground and rushed outside, but it was too late. His upper back was broken, and he died within moments in my mom's arms. I was devastated. He was my only adult buck, was exactly what I wanted for my breeding program, and was the sweetest thing ever. He was only 1 year old. RIP Gandalf :cry: :bunnyhop:

Now the spotlight moved to a new buck I had purchased a few weeks before. He was a beautiful longhaired Blue Point, still only 10 weeks old. I was very excited to have him. He was still in quarantine, but was very healthy looking. A few days after Gandalf's death I found him in shock in his cage. He had no symptoms of anything, and had been fine that morning. He was obviously in pain. I waited, not sure what to do. After a few hours, I was actually about to dispatch him(I have never done that and hopefully will never have to), when he finally died. Now I was in shock. I had no Dwarf bucks now. It was really heartbreaking.

We called the breeder of the young buck, and they had another one. We bought him, and I'm hoping he will do better. He is still in quarantine and I'm keeping a very close eye on him. His name is Pippin, and he is a Smoke Pearl dwarf buck. I'm hoping he will do great and be my herd sire when he is full grown. He has tons of personality, and lots of energy! I was scared he had coccidiosis, because he developed a soft, bloated belly. I am treating him with green onions(very small doses) and disinfecting everything, and his belly is almost back to normal. I don't know if it was the treatment or just coincidence, but I'm being very careful with him.

I also purchased a small mixed breed doe to breed with my sister's buck. She is the same age as the new Dwarf buck. Her name is Anna and she appears to be a black Charlie. She is very sweet, calm, and somewhat timid. She is doing very well.

Hopefully everything will go well and I can start up breeding again early next year. I will be building better cages before then so I'm excited!

Attachments

• FullSizeRender(34).jpg
    FullSizeRender(34).jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 655
  • FullSizeRender(33).jpg
    FullSizeRender(33).jpg
    112.5 KB · Views: 655
Wow, what a rough time. I hope your sister is doing better now and that things have smoothing out with your rabbits. I'm sorry about Gandalf. I could tell by your other posts that you loved him.

Back