I Hope He Won't Be This Way Forever :(

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peach

Rabbit Talk Supporter
Reaction score
Well as you guys know we have acquired our chocolate dutch, Bear....He is really nice about handling it's just he's showing the habit of biting....wayyyyy to often. He's not attacking but he's just out of the random frequent nipping. Sometimes he digs then nips. I'm thinking it's his him getting used to me,but I try to discourage this behavior by giving just one of those sounds you make probably correcting a horse or your dog. (I hope some of you know what I'm talking about lol) I hope this is him just getting used to me. As long as it doesn't turn into just a full out attack, I think I'll just keep making correctional sounds and working with him (carrying him around when I've feeding, chilling around,etc) I hope he comes around. He's so pretty and for the most part not the squirmy type if you are supporting him. Any other opinions to help him chill out? He's got lengths of time to himself. I just usually take him out during feeding and before I hit the sack. I don't want to overwhelm the little guy.

As long as he is not like that doe outside that bit me while I was changing out her water :? She has barely a week old kits and I took her out to give her a petting and look over....she kept lifting for me. Silly doe. I kinda want to just get a liter from her a.s.a.p from my herd buck.... as soon as when I can properly wean the other kits I think I'm going to rebreed her just so I can move her out soon. Being nasty can only be tolerated so long.

Hmm can he smell doe on you? I know some bucks will dig and nip the does to get them to move to give chase, they like running down their bunny momma I guess o_O.... If you even have the same shirt on that you had on while holding a doe the smell will carry over and could cause issues.

Is she just being a defensive mom? Or some thing different? Not saying its good to have a biter, I don't tolerate them period but if she's new to you and with babies, I can see how it would make her upset enough to.

Here's a thought. Take a tin can with you and put it on top of or near the rabbits' cages. Anytime you're doing anything in their cage, be sure to place that can in the cage while you're doing whatever you need to do. Should they lunge or nip at you, grab the can and give them a sharp bonk on the nose with it. Continue doing so everytime they engage in trying to bite or attack you. They'll normally get the hint that it's not going to be tolerated.

I find that rabbits with nasty temperments almost always pass on there bad temperment too the offspring.I also find some beginners mistake a little friendly nip for a real bite.

my FG doe likes to give friendly nips when we are petting her, not that it still doesnt hurt :lol: but at least i know she is not trying to hurt me. My MR doe on the other hand lunges and growls when you try to move anything inside her cage if she gets a hold of you its for blood. :angry:

SMR":3k9xo2nz said:
Hmm can he smell doe on you? I know some bucks will dig and nip the does to get them to move to give chase, they like running down their bunny momma I guess o_O.... If you even have the same shirt on that you had on while holding a doe the smell will carry over and could cause issues.

Is she just being a defensive mom? Or some thing different? Not saying its good to have a biter, I don't tolerate them period but if she's new to you and with babies, I can see how it would make her upset enough to.

I changed my shirt and all so I know it can't be that (That thought crossed my mind), so I just went ahead and waited until I showered to get him out first.

Somewhat I think it's defensive. She is excellent quality for the show table and has made great babies for her breeder....I just noticed that up and down the breeders arms she had CRAZY amounts of scars. I know we all get scratched...but holy cow. I'll be seeing how her offspring are like as they grow, but if they are temperamental, I'll have no problem making the decision on culling them.

SatinsRule":3k9xo2nz said:
Here's a thought. Take a tin can with you and put it on top of or near the rabbits' cages. Anytime you're doing anything in their cage, be sure to place that can in the cage while you're doing whatever you need to do. Should they lunge or nip at you, grab the can and give them a sharp bonk on the nose with it. Continue doing so everytime they engage in trying to bite or attack you. They'll normally get the hint that it's not going to be tolerated.
I'll give that a try :)

curlysue":3k9xo2nz said:
I find that rabbits with nasty temperments almost always pass on there bad temperment too the offspring.I also find some beginners mistake a little friendly nip for a real bite.
I'm going to see if his temperament changes into something better, but if not, I'll just cull him out. I hate that he's such a good looking rabbit too!

Just make sure that you're hitting him on the nose, and think about it. Where is the one place that most every rabbit hates being touched?

He'll likely get the point.

When Bear starts his digging in preparation for a nip you need to stop what you're doing, secure his cage if he's in one, turn your back on him and walk away. That is how rabbits show each other they've been offended. He won't understand the noises of disapproval as easily as he'll understand that. Do it faithfully every time he prepares to nip and you should see improvement in his behavior. Rabbits don't hate being touched on the nose. A nose bump is a greeting to them.

As for the territorial doe, I agree that you can "forgive" some of that when she has kits in the nest, but I personally will not tolerate that kind of territoriality ... it could interfere if I do need to get into the kits for something. I also keep the nest boxes situated in front of the cage door so that I can reach in and simply pull the whole thing out if I need access to the kits. This forces the doe into the opposite corner of the cage.

Also, if the buck is nipping you, he may be trying to dominate you, and gently, but FIRMLY pinning his head/front quarters to the floor until he stops struggling will reinforce your position over him.

I also had a buck from a breeder that bit me 3 times ... the first two times I was willing to chalk it up to me making a mistake such as handling another buck first, etc. The 3rd time was an all-out attack across the width of the cage, and he latched on and ground his teeth in my finger! 30 minutes later, he was butchered and ready for freezer camp. So, watch the eyes and the ears when he bites to be sure of his intentions.

arachyd":2gne51g5 said:
When Bear starts his digging in preparation for a nip you need to stop what you're doing, secure his cage if he's in one, turn your back on him and walk away. That is how rabbits show each other they've been offended. He won't understand the noises of disapproval as easily as he'll understand that. Do it faithfully every time he prepares to nip and you should see improvement in his behavior. Rabbits don't hate being touched on the nose. A nose bump is a greeting to them.

Completely agree with this...my dutch doe Bluebelle does the same at times. I hold down her head until she stops and then she behaves herself.

arachyd":2jhus0vg said:
Rabbits don't hate being touched on the nose. A nose bump is a greeting to them.

Okay, explain why a rabbit will normally recoil sharply backward when they're touched on the nose.

mine's don't. they usually meet me at the front of the cage, I press my nose to nose, then rub my chin on the top of their heads and along the side of the head.

skysthelimit":1aghn20s said:
mine's don't. they usually meet me at the front of the cage, I press my nose to nose, then rub my chin on the top of their heads and along the side of the head.

Mine do the same thing! Well all of them with exception to my grouchy doe. She gets her head held down when she lunges.

I have yet to see a rabbit which won't recoil their head sharply when you reach out and touch them on the nose with a finger. It's one of the most sensitive parts of their body.

I can't explain why your rabbits don't like their noses touched. With the exception of 1 evil rabbit all my rabbits come to greet me and bump my hand with their nose. If I bump them first they act very happy about it. Actually hitting an aggressive rabbit just makes them think you want to fight and they will either fight back or run from you. I'd rather a rabbit learn manners and be friendly.

SatinsRule":w49yrtez said:
arachyd":w49yrtez said:
Rabbits don't hate being touched on the nose. A nose bump is a greeting to them.

Okay, explain why a rabbit will normally recoil sharply backward when they're touched on the nose.

I have only seen this with the ones that I have not spent enough time socializing. Most of mine come to the cage and beg for me to scratch/pet their noses.

SatinsRule wrote:
arachyd wrote:

I have only seen this with the ones that I have not spent enough time socializing. Most of mine come to the cage and beg for me to scratch/pet their noses.
i have does that would freak if i tried to touch them on the nose, but my friendly ones love giving nose bumps. it is a sensitive part, so they will recoil if it gets bonked. but if its just a nudge they like it. mine greet me with nose bumps.

arachyd":5qijv06m said:
When Bear starts his digging in preparation for a nip you need to stop what you're doing, secure his cage if he's in one, turn your back on him and walk away. That is how rabbits show each other they've been offended.... Do it faithfully every time he prepares to nip and you should see improvement in his behavior.
This worked with Thumper. I got the idea from http://language.rabbitspeak.com/. I just made sure to get him quickly to his cage, put him in unceremoniously (but not roughly), quickly latched his cage, and then turned my back on him with great dramatic flair. I paused, then walked away without looking back.

I only had to do it twice. He's never nipped me or (I think) anybody else again. And it's been almost three years!

OneAcreFarm":yd7dajmr said:

Trust me. Nobody could meet my red doe Tater and call her unsocialized, but I will flatly guarantee you that she will recoil her head sharply back if you so much as tap her on the nose with your fingertip.

SatinsRule":3ip7sb2a said:
OneAcreFarm":3ip7sb2a said:

Trust me. Nobody could meet my red doe Tater and call her unsocialized, but I will flatly guarantee you that she will recoil her head sharply back if you so much as tap her on the nose with your fingertip.

I am pretty sure I would too! I think we are talking two different things here...scratches/grooming behavior or "nose bumps/nudges" vs. a tap or thump to the nose.

Latest posts

Back